Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » so how many 70mm capable screens ARE there currently? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: so how many 70mm capable screens ARE there currently?
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 04:22 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that this website/listing is out of date:

http://www.redballoon.net/current70mmus.html

but with the rumor that 'The Master' getting an exclusive 70mm run at the Westwood Village Theater in West LA come this Fall - it is even feasible for the Weinstein Co. to strike up more than one 70mm print for the select few theaters that could actually present the film as such:

"The classic Village Theatre, in the Westwood Village/west Los Angeles area of L.A. is reported to be in view as a site for a 70mm run of the new film from Paul Thomas Anderson (PT Anderson), "The Master". Although the Village hasn't run a 70mm print for many years, a 70mm conversion kit for their venerable Norelco/Philips DP70 has been tracked down, and, pending final decisions and arrangements, it seems likely that L.A. will have its first commercial engagement of a new movie, presented "in the splendor of 70mm" in many years (last known previous one was "Hamlet", back in December 1996)'"

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-21-2012 04:40 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
5/70 is not Large Format. Moving to FHF.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 04:50 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry... and thanks.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-21-2012 04:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As keeper of the list referenced above (which was started in 1997--when more 70mm houses existed--and which has been added/modified since), I can say that "70mm capable house" can mean one of several things:

- able to show a 70mm print if it arrived today, with no additional equipment or service needed

- able to show a 70mm print with minimal service or additional equipment (might need a mag A-chain or 70mm DTS readers, or maybe a platter conversion kit)

- has some 70mm-capable equipment (e.g. projector head(s)), but would need other significant equipment installed (e.g. magnetic sound) in order to play a 70mm print; this is often the case in theatres that might have upgraded their sound systems, but which have not necessarily included magnetic sound capability in the new system

Also, lots of theatres can play a format 42 print, but few can properly play a format 40 print without buying additional equipment.

Anyway, I would say that relatively few theatres could play a 70mm magnetic print if it arrived today. The ones that come to mind are the AFI Silver, the Egyptian, the Aero, and possibly the Cinerama Dome, the Seattle Cinerama, Cinestudio, the Ziegfeld, Radio City, the Castro and maybe a few others.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-21-2012 06:10 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honolulu at one time had ten active theatres capable of playing 70mm films but one of them do not count because it now uses a 70mm system from one of the house that had it (Royal) after it had shut down. The theatre is Consolidated's Kahala #1 - the large auditorium and last I heard, the equipment is still there and the theatre is part of a active eight theatre complex. As I had mentioned the other week on another thread, one or two of the theatres at the kahala is used as an art house. All of Honolulu's other 70mm theatres have all shut down years ago.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 06:29 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's not a commercial theater but the Museum of the Moving Image (in Astoria NY) has a 70mm projector.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 06:42 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can the Chinese, El Capitan, or even the Loewe's Auditorium at the Lincoln Square 13 do it?

AJG

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 06:54 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radio City Music Hall can run all 35/70 mag formats.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 06:56 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was this press release only referring to movies originating on 65mm shooting stock? If not, there are some ommissions. TITANIC played in 1997 at both the Chinese and Villager in Westwood in December, 1997.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 10:33 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ oh sorry here's the link (from in70mm.com)

http://www.in70mm.com/library/rumour/index.htm

it sounds like the story is referring to 65mm shot films, not 'blowups'.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 11:44 PM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure there are more 70mm cinemas here and there, but on this page: http://www.in70mm.com/now_showing/index.htm I have listed the cinemas which actually DOES show 70mm occasionally

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-22-2012 12:15 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me or is your "Now Showing in 70mm" bit more active this year than in recent past? It seems like not just the AFI is running more 70mm but so are the other popular 70mm venues.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2012 12:39 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's as normal as ever - there are always more 70mm going on during the summer. People are very kind to send me the dates, which I add, and the list "comes alive".

If you hear about 70mm shows, just send me an e-mail, and I will be happy to add it to the list.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2012 10:32 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
West L.A.'s LANDMARK Theatre has installed 70mm in their Theatre #7 for THE MASTER which opens this Friday (Sept 14). This theatre has recently gone all digital, removing their 35mm equipment. Even more strangely, the complex opened with Sony 4K's in almost every screen, large and small, but they were rearely used, as 35mm was the preferred format here. But now that they are all digital, they are not using the Sony's, but a combination of 2K and 4K DLPs.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-12-2012 12:39 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Linfesty
But now that they are all digital, they are not using the Sony's, but a combination of 2K and 4K DLPs.

Prob found out how expensive it will be to operate SONY units compared to DLP units in the long haul.

Looks like Chris Nolan's push to play "DKR" in 15/70mm is starting a trend to return 70mm presentations to the big screen, where it rightfully belongs ... where digital doesn't belong.

Boise's Egyptian Theatre contains two Simplex XL 35/70mm projectors for dual film format presentations....and manual changeover operation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: