Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dark Knight Rises Audio Problems

Author Topic: Dark Knight Rises Audio Problems
Ross McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 06:37 PM      Profile for Ross McLaughlin   Email Ross McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Has anybody else had audio problems with TDKR?

We've had a hell of a lot of complaints about muffled dialogue. I'm aware there's been an issue for months with Bane's dialogue, but when checking our screening today, the surround sound was overpowering the dialogue for a lot of scenes, even without Bane.

We've had no issues with this with any other films we've had in the same screen in the last however long.

Though our Surround speakers have been dropping out and kicking in randomly today, it seems to be an issue whether they're on or off. I'm guessing this is an issue with the mixing on our 35mm print (not to mention the two reels printed slightly out of rack!), though without the technical know-how I can't clarify this. Anyone else out there had the same issue?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-20-2012 07:23 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What sound format is the film running in? Dolby SR (Format 05) or Dolby Digital (Format 10)? Or are you using DTS or SDDS?

Sounds like you have some alignment issues with your processor and you would be well advised to get a tech out to check the A and especially B chain alignments.

A service call will cost you a hell of a lot less than the lost attendance or refunds from having bad sound.

Ross McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 07:47 PM      Profile for Ross McLaughlin   Email Ross McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're running it on Dolby SR. I ran the 69T test reel this morning and all was good. The issue with our Surround dropping in and out is pre-exisiting, though is mainly for very loud-effects driven films (Transformers 3 blew it before).

Have just seen a cinema down the road from ours posting on twitter saying "for all of you asking, yes that's the sound mix for TDKR - no, it's NOT our sound system!" - seems like not just us.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 10:58 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
not to mention the two reels printed slightly out of rack!
Interesting- - I got a call today from one of the theaters I do
some occasional service work for who told me they also got two
reels that were printed off-frame by about half-a-perf.
They wanted me to come down & confirm that there wasn't some
other problem, but I was pre-occupied at the other end of
town with another commitment. They're getting a couple of
replacement reels by courrier tonight.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-20-2012 11:18 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over on the Drive-In blog one of the guys said exactly the same thing -- he said one reel was out of frame and wanted to know if it could be his equipment. Not likely on scope. It is either printed with the frameline exactly between two sprocket holes or it isn't -- very easy to see when you put it in your splicer and make the cut. Either the cut is right on the frame line or not. If not, get a replacement reel.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-20-2012 11:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's some quality labwork. I would say Tech and Deluxe really screwed up when they decided which lab and depot to stay open, but lets face it, the studios would've WANTED the crappy Deluxe lab to churn on the last 35mm prints.

John Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 01:26 AM      Profile for John Stevens   Email John Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the sound quality to be a little off on TDKR and the previous film TDK.
I have an ex Dolby tech from LA living in the area who thinks it is the mix and not my equipment. This would be correct if others have had a problem as well.
As for the printing issue i have seen a few of these over the last few years, espically reel 5 and 6 of "The Worlds Fastest Indian" and ......Terminator Salvation reel 3. [Eek!] [thumbsdown]

Stephen Cattenazzi
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 01:52 AM      Profile for Stephen Cattenazzi   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Cattenazzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We too are having audio issues with this film. The action sequences are way louder than any other film I've screened. Our first session was one for what we call "babes in arms". We run the feature with the lights at preset, and the volume lower than regular sessions. Upon feature start, I went into the auditorium to check the level, and wondered if I'd actually turned it down at all. It was ridiculously loud! I had to run the audio lower than we run our pre-show. I've sinced checked other scenes, and it's the same right through. Muffled dialogue, over the top booming action, etc. We had similar issues with Prometheus just recently.

John Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 02:15 AM      Profile for John Stevens   Email John Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, not the best for a presentation.

Ross McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 05:32 AM      Profile for Ross McLaughlin   Email Ross McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the reels out of rack, you could visibly see at the end of the reel, on the frame there was about half a perf's worth of another frame there. We had the same with Snow White and the Huntsman. It was weird though because on that one during the show you could just see a slight frame line at the top or bottom of the screen, but with this one, each time the shot changed, there would be a white line at the top or bottom of screen for 1 frame, which I've never seen before. We've got around it by moving the racking on the projector so you can't see it on the masking.

The two cinemas closest to ours are reporting sound mix issues as well now, and one of them is screening it in 35mm and digital, so seems like whoever mixed this one screwed up.

Philip Jones
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2012 08:15 AM      Profile for Philip Jones   Email Philip Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the dialogue is very hard to pick out here as well and the effects overpowering.. We've not had any such problems since we went digital late last year.

Just seen this on the Daily Mail's review: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-2176260/The-Dark-Knight-Rises-review-A-pretentious-mess--Batman-escape-disaster.html

quote:
An over-enthusiastic effects track, poor diction (not only by Hardy, hampered by his hockey mask) and what sounds like hundreds of crazed Japanese drummers make large stretches of dialogue incomprehensible.

And in case you think I’m going deaf, my 21-year-old son sitting beside me found it just as difficult to hear.

Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2012 05:55 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is not just on 35mm, digital projection has the problem as well, at least in 2 cinema's that I know of. Though not really muffled dialogue but different problems, the audio of this movie is not just 100%. (though the movie is fantastic)

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2012 06:14 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was running it in 2 great 35mm auditoriums last night. One was d.t.s and the other Dolby digital.I only watched the opening scene in each theatre but both sounded great.
That said I could tell the sound effects were much louder than the normal dialogue. Banes voice was also far louder than anyone else.He sounds muffled but much clearer than the prologue was back on Imax MI4.
It looks great on 35mm!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: