Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Changing the Brass Bushing In A "JJ" Penthouse

Author Topic: Changing the Brass Bushing In A "JJ" Penthouse
Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2012 05:44 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The top sprocket bushing in my JJ penthouse needs to be replaced. One Forum member suggested using an Arbor Press. Does anyone else have a suggestion how to do it?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-16-2012 07:37 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An arbor press is really your best friend to press out brass sleeves since you can do the push with one even stroke, or the continual turn of the stand wheel. And, they're your best friend to press the new bushing back in.

Yet, if you can modify, or add attachments to a bench vise, this can be the second best way, but just have to be more careful.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-16-2012 08:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i usually heat the casting and then put an ice cube on the bushing
when putting in a new one i put the bushing in the freezer overnight and then they fit in nice and smooth

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2012 11:09 AM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't need to apply a large force, a drill press makes a good substitute for a small arbor press. I've also modified large C-clamps to press parts in and out of various things. A good socket set (1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drives) can provide a large selection of "press adapters" of different diameters and lengths. Buy a cheap extension and cut off the female end. You now have something you can securely attach to a drill press chuck or weld to a C-clamp to hold the appropriate socket in place. An extension costs only a couple bucks at a discount store.

Using Gordon's temperature trick makes things go much easier.

If you don't want to do it yourself, a local automotive machine shop should be able to do the job for you.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2012 06:51 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your suggestions guys.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: