Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Horizontal Ghosting

Author Topic: Horizontal Ghosting
Neil Winchell
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2012 12:41 AM      Profile for Neil Winchell   Email Neil Winchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So glad to find this forum:) I've been running a twin in my hometown for the past 11 years and, a month or so from upgrading to digital, one of my projectors has decided to act up. The picture of the screen seems to have a lot of ghosting, though not in the usual up and down direction. The light seems to bleed out in all directions, though is more noticeable horizontally. I've checked the shutter, but it seems to be aligned properly.

Any thoughts as to what might cause the light to 'halo' out around bright images? I'm stumped, and my usual techs don't know either...and are too busy upgrading other theatres to come and check it out in person:)

Thanks for whatever help you guys can provide. Only wish I found this forum years ago. Would have saved me some grief:)

Neil

Strong Super Lume-X Lamphouse
Century Model R-3 Projector

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2012 02:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Start by cleaning your lenses and port glass, then see if the problem is still there.

Does it happen in flat and scope?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-15-2012 02:33 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I serviced a twin on time with one house having the similar issue, but it was only in Scope.

Back end of the prime and the next element was all burnt-coating all blistered. Showed this to the owner and he got on the stick to get a new prime in. But, for the time being, he had a good prime available, but was a quarter inch too long, but still was workable to cure the presentation issue.

Did a drive-in with the similar issue. This one on both lenses. Projector was an Simplex XL. Both lenses were coated with an oil film that was coming from the projector. Polished up the two lenses and the picture on the screen suddenly became sharp and clear.

..oh well ....

-Monte

Neil Winchell
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2012 01:26 PM      Profile for Neil Winchell   Email Neil Winchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ghosting does happen in both flat and scope, and I've taken both lenses out to clean with no change. Same with cleaning the port window. Maybe I missed something and will do that again before the shows today. Will check the prime as well. I have a spare so can make the change.

Thanks for the input everyone. If I can solve this thing today I will be so ecstatic. Don't want it like this when Batman comes:)

Neil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: