Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP650 fuses?

Author Topic: CP650 fuses?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-13-2012 06:27 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for part numbers for the fuses for a CP650. This is for a new installation and we need spares.

main fuse:
6.3a 250v 20mm time-lag low breaking capcity

bypass fuse:
200 mA 250v 20mm time-lag low breaking capacity

These have proven to be surprisingly difficult to find from the usual sources. Ideas? [Confused] Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-13-2012 07:26 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, Scott, Scott.... [Smile] I'm gonna have to send you a bill for my time. [Smile]

6.3amp

200ma

[Big Grin]

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 07-13-2012 07:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the prompt service! I was getting confused by the size; these are "5x20" fuses, but the dimensions are listed as 5.2mm diameter. Also, I wasn't sure if that was a separate size, or if time-lag is the same thing as slow-blo. If these will work, I will order them. It sure would have been nice if Dolby had just listed some example part numbers in the manual (especially since manuals have historically been one of their strongest points).

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-13-2012 07:42 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. IIRC 5.2mm is the actual diameter but the industry refers to them as 5mm fuses.

And expecting Dolby to give out OEM replacement numbers? Good one. [Big Grin] No manufacturer wants you to buy these things direct, they'd rather charge you their markup than have you buy direct.

I get replacement fans for CP-650's direct and you won't believe how little they cost. I don't want to post the part number here though as I don't want Dolby pissed off at me. [Big Grin]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-13-2012 08:13 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post it already, they won't care.

I did the same thing with the CP500 front door fans.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-13-2012 08:32 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Sam said ok, here it is:

Digi-key part Number 259-1465-ND

This is the same fan, minus the 2-pin connector. I ordered a bunch of those and the connectors so I can have them plug and play ready, I ordered 5 last month.

If you order one as a replacement you'll need to splice on/install the connector from the old fan.

Priced under $5.00 each. [thumbsup] (Minus shipping of course.) Ordering 5 like I did makes the cost just over $5.00 each.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 07-15-2012 01:27 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone really pay the "Dolby tax" for a fuse? That's insane. I could sort of see doing it for the fans if I were in a hurry and needed something that I could be sure was an exact replacement. I have done this for IT equpment when exact replacement fans were not readily available. That does not mean that I was happy about it, however.

One of my real pet peeves (and I am not accusing Dolby of doing this...it is more of a general rant) is companies that use weird proprietary parts for the sake of making money on the parts sales. Dell does this in their desktop computers. Instead of using standard ATX power supplies ($20-30 for a cheap one; $100 or so for a good one), they use something that is Dell-specific and for which replacements can only be ordered from Dell at inflated prices. Similarly, we have a Nortel Callpilot voicemail system at my day job. It uses a cheap-looking Chinese-made brick-style power supply. Which has a weird output voltage and current rating and which is a $90+ part, only available from Nortel dealers. This should be a $5 part (on a bad day) available from any electronics supplier. I, for one, would be happy to pay more upfront to avoid this crap.

I have no problem with proprietary parts that are used when they are actually better than generic parts, but that only rarely seems to be the case.

Side note that is somewhat back on topic: I vaguely remember that fuses for earlier Dolby processors (the CP50 and CP65 stick in my mind) were also oddball sizes. When will the madness stop? [Razz]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-15-2012 09:37 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddball in the US; not oddball in the UK. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-15-2012 10:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5x20mm fuses have been available for a LONG time. Once upon a time, one could often get free stuff out of Dolby for that sort of thing so I doubt that was their reasoning, once upon a time. It is pretty common practice for manufacturers to charge something along the lines of 5x their cost for something. This will make a part look expensive, for sure. It is not uncommon for a manufacturer to make more money on repair parts than on the products themselves. A manufacturer is beaten up pretty heavily on finished goods and run at razor thin profits.

Anyone every priced out replacement batteries for a cordless drill versus the drill with two batteries included? All of the money seems to be in the batteries.

For generic parts, like fuses, manufacturers (and even dealers) carry them as a convenience item as much as anything else since most drug stores or the local Radio Shack will have them faster (and often cheaper).

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-15-2012 10:12 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Steve says. Edited

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: