Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bell $ Howell 285

Author Topic: Bell $ Howell 285
David Petersen
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2012 06:20 PM      Profile for David Petersen   Email David Petersen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings, I had a new 285 back in the mid 50's and loved that system. I've always wanted to find another in real good condition, I was just able to purchase one on e-bay and need some expert advice. It turns out that the amp needs work and I need to address that, I need advice on how to lubricate the projector itself and what lubricant to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Regards, Dave Petersen

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2012 06:33 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those came with two different amps as I recall; a lower power "hot chassis" amp with no power transformer, and I believe a better amp with power transformer and 6V6 output tubes. Hope you got the later--and by now either would probably need to be recapped. You should also be aware that those special projection lamps with the locator pin are now out of production, so pick them up when you see some on ebay or wherever. Anyway, you might jump over to the 16mm website 16mmfilmtalk(dot)com. Several guys over there love those old Bell & Howells and could help you more than I can. Good luck.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2012 08:32 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The B&H 285 and it's older cousin, the 185 are two of my
favorite 16mm machines. Noisy- - but built well.

The operating & instruction manual for the B&H 285 is
available in the warehouse section of this website.
It shows all the lubrication points, and tells the user
to use the "Bell & Howell Oil" that came with the projector.

The '285' amp schematic is also seperately in the "warehouse"

Unfortunately, the "285" service manual is not avilable
online here, but you can refer to the "385" service manual
(which is posted) since many of the assemblies & adjustments
are almost identical in both the 285 & 385.

In the early 1980's I worked for several years at an
authorized B&H repair facility. We still serviced a fair
amount of the old 200/300 series of projectors.

The official "Bell & Howell Oil" was no longer made, so
as I recall, we used to use something called "3-In-One
Small Electric Motor Oil" which we bought in bulk but
could also be had in small squeeze-cans at most hardware
stores. It was also commonly used to lube sewing machines.

We used a "light grease" but I don't recall the exact type
to lube the cam-end of the claw mechanism, and I've even
seen some techs use plain old petroleum jelly for this.

I've been lucky- - I've only had to re-cap one of my amps
and the replacements were not hard to find.

Good luck with your project!

>Not that anyone asked- - but my current project is
restoring a couple of old 1941 Natco 3030's, a not
too-often-seen "left handed" table-tipper (the belt
driven take-up reel hangs over the end of the table
like the one on an RCA 400 16mm projector.<

Natco 3030-1
 -

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2012 07:34 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the left handed Natco. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the only projector made by a shampoo and hair spray company? I'd love to know how Helene Curtis got in the movie business, unless that was one of those WWII "you will convert from lipstick to shell casings" deals. Good luck with it Jim. What do you need to do to it?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-06-2012 12:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the shuttle assemblies still available for the 175 to 399 series of the Bell and Howell units?

Friend of mine has the 202 mag/optical unit with a bad shuttle - teeth are all grooved causing major picture jump.

thx - Monte

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves, changing the shuttle also involves changing out all of the individual ball bearings in the drive which are not contained in a closed race but rather adhered to grease in a groove by tweezers one by one with the hope that they don't fall off when you reassemble--not for the feint of heart even if you could still buy the little vials of ball bearings! I think there's a reason even Bell & Howell gave up that design. Steve Krams in Miami(ICECO)claims to have some B&H parts, but who knows which ones.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-07-2012 06:53 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Natco 3030 and 3015 where the first projectors I used as a "grade school" Pre A.V. geek. I visited a B & H service center in the 1970's and they had a special table set up to handle repairs involving the loose ball bearings with barriers on the table edge so as not to drop microscopic parts on the floor.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2012 06:45 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a Natco 3010. Cheezy bottom rung amplifier.

I loved the 285/385's. I've never run across one with the cheaper amplifier. All of mine have had 6V6GT outputs, and all of them got new capacitors eventually.

I would definitely replace the capacitors on the amp. Hope it wasn't run to death before you got it.

Turbine oil works good in 16mm projectors. I was always told not to use 3 in 1 as projector oil.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2012 08:16 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're lucky Bruce. Years ago I was given a 185 and a 285 and both of them had the cheezy amps!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: