Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problem with sound and automation

Author Topic: Problem with sound and automation
Megan Shank-Beebe
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 07:14 PM      Profile for Megan Shank-Beebe   Email Megan Shank-Beebe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
When we play movies at the theater that I work at, the Dolby Digital sound isn't coming on automatically anymore and it stays on when the movie ends. I can change it manually and it will work but as the projector in question is in one room and the Cinema Processor in another, there's a little bit of a delay as I run back and forth (in addition to it being annoying to run back and forth). It won't even switch for Dolby SR anymore unless I put it in manually. Everything else in the automated cycle works. Ideally we'd like it to go from Non-Sync 1 to Dolby Digital and back again (like it used to).

We have a Dolby CP500, the automation system is Kelmar Series 4, and our projector is a Strong Simplex 35. We also run on a platter system, not reel to reel.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-03-2012 01:37 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Film-Tech!

Your situation sounds familiar in which the fail-safe unit is not reading the cues to trigger the automation so the shutdown cycle can be completed, in which it will pulse the processor back to "Format 60" - non/sync.

You mention the automation and your projector setup, but what brand of failsafe is used .. and is it making a complete contact to the automation, is my question.

Might be complex where a tech might have to attend your location to solve the issue.

Megan Shank-Beebe
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2012 11:00 PM      Profile for Megan Shank-Beebe   Email Megan Shank-Beebe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, glad to be here [Smile] .

The failsafe is Kelmar. We don't use cues, never have (we only have one projector so we don't need them). Pressing the "Start" button is what tells the sound to switch over and when the failsafe drops, it switches back. It used to kick on the sound but now it doesn't. Everything else is still automated (change-over shutter, lights, lamp, etc.) I'm sorry I can't be more specific, I've been doing this about two years and was just handed a folder full of manuals and circuit diagrams I can't make heads or tails of. We don't seem to have any materials about the failsafe [Frown] .

If the problem is too complicated to solve here (or can be solved here but would be too complicated for me to fix without being a tech) I'll call our normal tech guy.

Thanks for your help!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-03-2012 11:40 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Megan Shank-Beebe
If the problem is too complicated to solve here (or can be solved here but would be too complicated for me to fix without being a tech) I'll call our normal tech guy.
Y'Know, you really ought to call him, if not to fix the problem, for some training.

While I'm sure you know how to operate the projector(s) and do it well, if you have been suddenly put in charge of the booth, more and more of these kinds of problems are going to be, as you put it, dumped into your lap and, if you ever expect to be able to keep on top of problems, you're going too need more knowledge about your systems and the way they work than your employer has seen fit to give you, so far. You're going to need more in-depth knowledge.

It's probably high time to have your preventative maintenance done, by now. Why don't you have your guy come in, fix the problem, do the P.M.s and spend an afternoon going over the machines and how they work. Maybe you can even be his assistant while he's doing the P.M.s.

It really sucks when bosses throw their employees to the sharks!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: