Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Are there still such things as "Drive-In" prints? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Are there still such things as "Drive-In" prints?
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2012 07:28 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I ask:

We received a 2-D print of "Madagascar 3" from Bengie's Drive-In tonight. (The print is in excellent shape).

The film stock is odd. It seems to be extremely thick compared to other prints.

Just thought it was odd.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2012 09:04 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are still drive-in prints. We got a "Drive-In" print of Dark Shadows that was printed 3 points lighter. Most of the drive-in prints I've ever had have only been 2 points lighter, so this was a first for me. I've never noticed the film stock to be any different than the regular prints though.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2012 12:05 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the 80s 3D revival, all movies were shown in 2D at drive-ins. Are drive-ins still not capable of showing 3D, from either film or digital?

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2012 12:22 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might have a "Select" print. Deluxe would often strike them for Fox and they were used in the larger auditorium venues. They were historically on a heavier gauge stock. Perhaps this is what you've received.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-27-2012 01:06 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jesse Skeen
During the 80s 3D revival, all movies were shown in 2D at drive-ins. Are drive-ins still not capable of showing 3D, from either film or digital?
There's a drive-in outside of Dallas that does digital 3D. I remember being told they more or less puts in the brightest bulbs they can get and burn them at above warranted levels and swaps them out quite early.

Wish I'd remembered to ask about getting a look at that booth before I had to absolutely head out. Oh well.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-27-2012 01:28 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We also got a drive-in print of Dark Shadows. Didn't ask for it, either. It specifically said "drive-in print".

As for 3D at these places; it's been talked about a lot. The Texas drive-in is the only one that's done it, as far as I know.

There are all sorts of problems with the idea of silvering a drive-in screen. Several sources claim to have a paint that will work. If you could do it however, you'd have the issues of the gain eliminating the usable sides of your fields. Even then, 3D doesn't work all that well when the screen doesn't take up most of your field of vision, as is common at a drive-in.

The Texas theatre uses the Dolby system. They say it works ok, but they do have to post field personnel at the entrance & exit to retrieve the glasses.

I don't know of any other drive-in that's inclined to go 3d... it's not really something that our patrons are looking for out here. That's probably just as well, because the cost of converting is a big enough challenge for a lot of us.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2012 04:26 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it acetate?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-27-2012 05:12 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to check what it was, but we got a print just recently marked 6FL. I'm not sure if it was a drive-in print, but I wondered if it was a drive-in print.

I'll have to check with our booker to see if drive-in prints will be available for Dark Knight Rises. If not, I'm not sure it will be worth playing.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2012 08:11 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was the same "consistency" as our leader that we use. It wasn't acetate, but a heavier polyester.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2012 09:51 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak's catalog list only two color print films: Vision Premiere (2383) and Vision (2393). Both have the same base thickness. The only difference is the Premiere has hight contrast image.
Could the film which seems thicker be possibly Fuji, or some other brand? It should be printed into the outer edge of the film. If it is Kodak, does it have stock number other than above.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2012 10:57 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That drive-in in Texas is the Galaxy, just outside of Dallas in Ennis, Texas. I was there back in November of last year when I attended the DITA meet. Brad Miller was actually at the Galaxy that night to show us the digital projectors in the booth. I'm converting to digital over the winter this year, but have no desire to do 3D. I think I'll reserve the option to do it, but don't plan to install it.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 06-27-2012 12:56 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread, but polarized 3D won't work inside a car due to the tempered glass.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-27-2012 07:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing with a "silver" drive-in screen.

At a drive-in, it is either Dolby or nothing.

Martin's going to let me setup dual projector Dolby 3D...come back and check that sweetness out. Right Martin? [Wink]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-29-2012 03:54 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, I had heard about the problem with polarization and car windows so I did a little test, albeit not very scientific and not on any other car windshields except my Corolla, but I broke apart a pair of RealD glasses and had my honey hold one eye piece outside the window and I had the other eye inside the car. I slowly rotated my filter completely around and the polarization effect still worked - it still blocked out all of the light coming through the filter at a certain point. Her filter turned black at the null point. Rotating my some more and the light came through it again. That tells me that, at least with the Corolla windshield, the glass does not muck up the polarization. Polarization was just as strong and blocked light even with the windshield inserted between the two filters.

I think Jack's observation is right on the money -- 3D is hardly worth it if the screen isn't large enough (or your close enough) to get into at least part of your peripheral vision. At the huge distances from the viewer that are typical in a DI, you can barely get the feeling of depth. I am not sure exactly at what distance, but there is a point where we don't see 3D at all in real life. Look at a landscape and off in the distance you are no longer seeing 3D. I would imagine the same thing applies watching 3D from 300 feet away; while we may still perceive some 3D at DI screen distances, I don't think it would be nearly as pronounced as it is when you are sitting 30 feet from the screen.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-29-2012 08:43 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
I have to check what it was, but we got a print just recently marked 6FL. I'm not sure if it was a drive-in print, but I wondered if it was a drive-in print.
Probably MIB3D. They made two different gradings for 'normal' and silver screens.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: