Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Switching Power Supply Model 6280005 PROBLEM

Author Topic: Strong Switching Power Supply Model 6280005 PROBLEM
Martin Daian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2012 12:38 AM      Profile for Martin Daian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, i have purchased one year ago two of these switching power supplies, i never connect that until today, i put brand new xenon bulbs on the super lumex lamphouses and when starting the switches On there have strike on the bulb and the bulb want to start but there are premanent intermmittence of strike and light, i put the inside current preset to maximum and there start for arround 10 seconds after again the same intermittent problem, strike, strike , strike but never more start up, what will be the problem on both rectifiers have the same defect, maybe will be the capacitors? there are old made in May of year 1994.

Any help appreciatted,
Thanks,
Martin

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-20-2012 03:04 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are those the big black "suitcase" switchers? The "5" is the revision number of this model of switcher, which makes it repairable. If it was a '1', you got a boat anchor.

I call it the caps not giving out enough startup voltage for you.

STRONG switchers making past 15 years is sometimes called a miracle.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2012 10:59 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If both are doing it, I'd start at the input current and double check that you are receiving not just the correct voltage but also amperage. Just to be safe..

Martin Daian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2012 12:26 PM      Profile for Martin Daian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Monte and Dominic, yes this is version 5, have only one big capacitor of 6600MF x 350 Volts instead the two 3300mf 350 volts that have the version 1, i open all the rectifier unit and take out the main board where the oscillator behind where the solder pins are i note that have carbonized the connections and be aislated, maybe that will be the problem, i need to clean a resoldering all the pins and test again, maybe i will take the oportunity to change the rest of the small electrolitic capacitors to make more sure to solve the problem, rare thing is that i put the current preset to the maximum the lamp start for arround 10 seconds, i think that the fail on the soldering pins will be aislated and in the moment i turn the current preset to the maximum i suppose that the conduction be for the 10 seconds and after be aislated again and never more start,

Thank you for the informations,
Martin

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2012 06:31 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check that small capacitors, specially tantals which are on IC's power lines.....I had problems with those.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: