Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35mm transfer to DVD - UK

Author Topic: 35mm transfer to DVD - UK
Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2012 03:21 PM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct place here.

I have a reel of old 35mm policy trailers, ads, trailers, snippets etc that I have kept and preserved over the years. Now that we are digital for all aspects (ads and trails as well now), I would really like to convert this reel to a PC format or DVD.

Does anyone know of any firms in the UK that can do this?

I'm based in Gloucestershire so maybe someone in Birmingham/Midlands area?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-15-2012 03:31 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a referral from Bell Theatre Services, Hertfordshire, London. They will know where to send you. Louis

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2012 04:18 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try (Corporate Relations and Film Library Manager) Stephen Vokins at the National Motor Museum Trust at Beaulieu in Hampshire.

They have a Full Tellycine Suite and can do that type of work at a reasonable price.

Sorry I do not have a direct contact for this person now, but have used them some years ago.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2012 05:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully when it is complete, you can share it too! I love policy trailers!

AJG

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-16-2012 09:06 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deluxe Soho (formerly Soho Images) and Prestech are IMO the two leading vendors for 35mm telecine and scanning in Britain. That having been said, they will charge professional prices, and most post houses will require you to prove that you own the copyright, or have the copyright owner's permission, to have the copying done.

There are lots of "transfer your home movies to video" type places that will charge a lot less than professional prices, and one or two that aim for the experimental and semi-professional market (e.g. The Widescreen Centre and Stanley Productions), but as far as I'm aware they'll only do 8, S8, occasionally 9.5 and 16 (most of these places use Elmo type devices, with the higher end ones using Flashscans). I'm not aware of any that'll do 35; sorry.

Peter Brown
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2012 03:37 PM      Profile for Peter Brown   Email Peter Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try Digital Copycat in Reading. I used them for some 70-year-old 16mm family films and they did a fantastic job. I'm pretty sure they do 35mm as well, though it's no longer listed on their site.

Good luck!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: