Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Smart Mod VI alternative

Author Topic: Smart Mod VI alternative
Bill Yacey
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2012 11:40 AM      Profile for Bill Yacey   Email Bill Yacey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a dead ModVI that I have traced the problem back to the matrix board. It appears Smart is defunct, and I haven't had a reply on my information requests.

Is there a similar product available from other companies?

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2012 12:00 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really is the short answer.

Ultra Stereo JSD80 is an excellent processor, will handle 35mm analogue and AES/EBU + SPDIF from digital sources.

Or you should be able to pick up a used Dolby CP55/65/500 or even CP650 for little, if any money.

Bill Yacey
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2012 01:00 PM      Profile for Bill Yacey   Email Bill Yacey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't seem to find anything at a reasonable cost. I just want to run stereo. Perhaps i could just use a 2 channel balanced mic preamp and a DBX PA driverack for EQ and X over.

Any thoughts on this?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-15-2012 01:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can work, just no 4channel stereo.

Feed L/R solar cell feeds into mic imputs if the output leads are balanced.

Bet there are tonnage of CP 55's out there that can be had for a dime. But, do have a lead .. I'm sending you a PM or email.

-Monte

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2012 01:16 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a Cp-55 with cat 441 split surround card on ebay right now for a buy it now price of $125.00 You really can't go wrong with that.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-15-2012 03:12 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are any of the cards in the Mod VI common with the Mod 2B?

I've got a Mod 2B that's not being used. [Shrug]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-16-2012 02:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several matrix cards for the Mod6 usually the only ones with issues were the early DSP ones and often it was the 5volt rail of the powersupply
Contact Tom at Independent THeatre Supply in Edmonton we do have a few Mod 6 on the shelf

Bill Yacey
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2012 11:52 PM      Profile for Bill Yacey   Email Bill Yacey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the room up and running; I fed the reader head into a couple of balanced mic preamps and then to a 2 way active crossover, so I could drive the sub.

The reader is a BACP RSTR 2000. I noticed when setting the preamp gains there appears to be some high frequency distortion (fuzziness) in the audio, I was monitoring on headphones. I checked it with some different trailers and the feature that was scheduled to run in that room. I cleaned the reader head lens and the LED, adjusted focus for best high frequency response, but the distortion remains, both channels. I checked the lateral adjustment, but I didn't have my scope with me, so I just put it back to where it was, more or less centered, however it didn't improve in any way.

Any thoughts?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-18-2012 12:26 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The reader is a BACP RSTR 2000. I noticed when setting the preamp gains there appears to be some high frequency distortion (fuzziness) in the audio, I was monitoring on headphones. I checked it with some different trailers and the feature that was scheduled to run in that room. I cleaned the reader head lens and the LED, adjusted focus for best high frequency response, but the distortion remains, both channels. I checked the lateral adjustment, but I didn't have my scope with me, so I just put it back to where it was, more or less centered, however it didn't improve in any way.

I really cringe when I read about someone adjusting a reader without the proper test loops and without using a 'scope by "putting it back where it was, more or less". [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Redo your reader adjustments properly, using a 'scope AND an RTA.

As for the HF "fuzziness" you need to make sure your reader's grounding is done EXACTLY as BACP instructs. The LED power supply is (and Sam will correct me if I am wrong) a HF "switch mode" type of supply and it can induce oscillation in the output of the reader if not grounded properly.

Or another (stronger) possibility: what you are hearing is HF artifacts because of the lack of proper Dolby NR decoding (most likely) or impedance/response mismatch because of using a non-standard preamp setup....or both.

Get a used CP55, 65 or 500 and do it right. Especially if this is a public venue. If it is for your personal screening room, no real harm in experimenting really.

Bill Yacey
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2012 11:08 AM      Profile for Bill Yacey   Email Bill Yacey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe it's supply noise. It comes and goes consistent with the high frequency content in the audio track, so most likely it's Dolby pre-emphasis.

At the time, I didn't think I could make it any worse, even though I didn't have a test loop or my scope with me. The focus was out considerably, after adjusting I was getting audio considerably higher than 3Khz, which is about all it was reproducing before. After centering the lateral adjustment as best I could, I now have pretty even balance between L and R channels, even if there is a little bit of phase shift. After adjusting, at least the audio quality is 80% better than what it was.

When I get back on site to install a new processor, I'll do a proper alignment.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-19-2012 10:02 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, PM me if you're interested in a CP500 (with Dolby Digital installed) I have one just pulled from a screening room in good condition.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: