Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS--6AD playback w/o timecode

Author Topic: DTS--6AD playback w/o timecode
Jonathan Froes
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2012 06:29 PM      Profile for Jonathan Froes   Email Jonathan Froes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is there anyway to play dts disks on a 6ad with no timecode?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-09-2012 01:26 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need the timecode to play back in DTS.

Timecode syncs up with the data stored in cache memory to each assigned frame for analog playback.

The CD drives are read ahead in which the data from the CD is stored in the cache memory from the discs.

Jonathan Froes
Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2012 01:52 AM      Profile for Jonathan Froes   Email Jonathan Froes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm guessing this only applies to the 6AD right?

i thought it could be modified like the 6 and the 6d.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-09-2012 07:34 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Modified into what? All DTS units need a timecode at the reader input to play standard feature DTS discs.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-09-2012 09:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS 6 and 6Ds could "wild" play. If you put in a self-play disc (such as Empirical Test Disc) as well as the feature disc, it would wild play at least the first reel, as I recall.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-09-2012 11:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I recall it was only a certain revision or two of the Empirical Test Disc which let you do this. It was EXTRAORDINARILY helpful. We played the first reel of Toy Story 2 which was great to test sound on.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-09-2012 11:22 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use "Spiderman" R-1 all the time.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2012 12:45 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know for the DTS6, you can make a self playing disc out of the Empirical test disc. Using a computer, capture an ISO of the Empirical test disc. Then using an iso editing program, go in under the DTS folder replace the existing files with different audio files. Save the changes and burn the iso out to a new blank disk. When you put this disc in, it will start playing R1T5.AUD and so on in sequence. This doesn't work using *.AUE files used on newer titles.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2012 05:48 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you install a VGA card, and a keyboard on a 6D, you can play without timecode. Let the disc "ready' in the player, then hit "esc". Chose #2 - play without time code, then chose the track number on the disc. This will not work with .AUE files.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-10-2012 03:25 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really need the VGA card? Why not just the keyboard?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-10-2012 05:07 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Bruce mentioned, this does not work with AUE files anymore, hence it only works with very old titles.
I am not sure whether the DTS.EXE on DS5 test disk is compatible with AUE or not. If it is, it may work!
You don't really need a VGA card, if you know the sequence of buttons to press. If "system" stops blinking, reboot and start over!

Jonathan Froes
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2012 11:40 AM      Profile for Jonathan Froes   Email Jonathan Froes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i understand a modded 6 and the 6d will play most discs including some new ones. i have mine modified already and yes it does work just push escape and select play with no timecode. but my question was really about the 6AD. can it be modified like the 6 and the 6d?. does it even have a slot for a video card or a keyboard input?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-10-2012 02:06 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why would you modify a DTS player to play disks?

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2012 03:42 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i tried including DTS.EXE from a title using .AUE files onto my self playing experimental disc and it did not work.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: