Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help with Crossovers?

Author Topic: Help with Crossovers?
Tissa DeSilva
Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2012 07:58 PM      Profile for Tissa DeSilva   Email Tissa DeSilva   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am using QSC RMX amps with JBL 4675 speakers, KIndly tell me what kind of crossovers I should use? I can not change the amps because I have them already.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-17-2012 10:04 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the version of that speaker you might not need crossovers.

I have the "regular" version of that speaker. (4675C) There is a passive crossover built in to the cabinet. The high frequency horn connects to a pair of terminals on the side of the cabinet then the wires from the amplifier connect to the inputs. The device inside the cabinet does all the work for you.

A lot of the time, this passive crossover is all you need. Yes, you'll get better performance if you use a separate crossover and biamp the system but it is not entirely necessary.

The decision is up to your audio engineer.

Personally, I would do it if I could but my speakers are hooked up as passive crossover and they sound just fine.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2012 11:57 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the JBL 3160 external mounted cross-over. They're discontinued, but you can probably find them on eBay.

Tissa DeSilva
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2012 07:04 AM      Profile for Tissa DeSilva   Email Tissa DeSilva   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Randy
Iam using JBL4675 stage speakers and no crossovers build in.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-18-2012 07:37 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not enough information. Do you want a bi-amp system or a passive crossover system?
For bi-amp there are a lot of crossovers available. I would use Odyssey personally, pretty inexpensive and reliable (so far).
Passive, I don't know. The matching JBL crossover would be best I think.

V.V.Tushit Vijay
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2012 07:02 AM      Profile for V.V.Tushit Vijay   Email V.V.Tushit Vijay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tissa ,
Nice to see you here back to film-tech. And i suggest you to go for XTA DSP OR Ashly DSP. Which makes the better vocal and digital delay correction for the Auditorium .

Regards,

Tushit

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: