Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP50 center channel dropping intermittently (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP50 center channel dropping intermittently
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2012 09:35 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subject says it.

I've got a CP55 with SR on a newer Kelmar redlight reader -- the problem existed with the old Jaxlight that WAS in here last week.
It is dropping center channel intermittently.
I have dialog on the Left/Right pretty clean but it comes through in crackles on the center.

Definitely coming from the processor like this.

Thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2012 10:09 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had the same EXACT problem with a CP65 last month and posted it here. Same EXACT symptoms. I was told to check the bypass relays on the back. I took them off, reseated them, and the problem never came back.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-10-2012 10:11 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume you are talking about the film formats, 01, 04 05?

First, what happens in bypass? Do you have a crackling noise? If so, which channel(s)? If no go to next step.

Check the green lights on the 150 and then on the 242. If the center green light is on more or less in sync with Left and right channels, look next at the surround green LEDs. Is the surround LED on the 150 card on dialog, it's likely the 222 or 150 but could also be the center Cat. No. 64, or the output relays that was a topic recently.

So, now you have a homework assignment.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2012 10:16 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys.
I'll check it out!

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2012 06:53 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

You are a great teacher and your help is always cheerfully offered.

Thank you for all of your sharing here on the FORUM.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-11-2012 12:23 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Ken. You're not so bad yourself.

I don't know about the cheerful part, that tends to vary depending, but I do try.

I did this for Dolby Labs for 14 plus years and always enjoyed this part of the job. I also taught Dolby school for most of those years.

Now, if only I could keep all that info from draining out of my skull.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2012 06:58 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the guidance.
So, I got down here to look at it and it's actually a Cp50 and I don't see a cat 222 card...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-11-2012 08:21 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no relays. Center channel only "exists" after the 150 card, check the 150, swap a 64 and the output line amp is on the 111/117 card.

Note: left and right output line amps are on the respective 22 cards. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-11-2012 08:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget...the CAT 112 (switch card) also has the audio pass through it and if the Non-Sync/Opt switch is getting noisy...so can ANY of the channels.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-11-2012 09:24 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to correct Louis' statement.

The Cat. No. 150 produces the center as well as the surround channel and if it is a version equipped with the green signal presence LEDs, you can "see' if it is decoding all 4 channels.

Dominic, you should not ask for help until you know what you are dealing with. It's waste of time for all involved.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-14-2012 01:00 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam I agree but your statement to Dominic was a bit harsh. [Big Grin] (Since you and I are currently dealing with the same irritation I understand it though. )

Dominic, if you find you need a CAT 150 or 117 card let me know, I haven't tossed the ones I listed yet...I might even have a CAT 112

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-14-2012 03:01 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

You are right, I do go thru bouts of cranky (bet you hadn't noticed) but you should get the model # close. 55 vs. 65 OK, easy mistake, but CP50 to anything else, no.

It's my own version of tough love.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-15-2012 02:27 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL yep, and you're right about how the model confusion in this case is a big deal.

Louis mentioned that the Left/Right line amps are in the cat 22 cards, is that correct? I didn't think so.

I'm going to see our "friends" on the 23rd. Wish me luck. [Smile]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-15-2012 03:38 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis is right about that part. It was some engineers idea of saving a buck and using a spare line amp on the Cat. No. 22's.

This later got fixed on 517 upgrade of the 111/117 cards.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2012 07:18 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to you guys, so far.
Sam/Tony/Louis I always appreciate your advice. Even if it comes with a scolding for being an airhead [Wink]

I tried the format card and had to wait a few days to see if it recurred. The center just fades in and out, as if you were fondling the gain. There's no crackling or distortion though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: