Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Choke value for Strong 61000 power supply

Author Topic: Choke value for Strong 61000 power supply
Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 05-04-2012 11:15 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in need of getting a rewind done on the choke for a Strong 61000 power supply and need the value so I can get the work done.

Would any one know what the Inductance and resistance values are for this choke?

Cheers
Ian

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-07-2012 12:02 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does it need to be rewound? Burned up, water or other physical damage, or noisy?

Any competent transformer shop can, if all the original windings are there (even if badly damaged), rewind it properly.

If the laminated core is ok you can even rewind it yourself following a few simple rules:

1: Use same gauge and insulation type of wire;
2: Wind the exact same number of turns in the same direction and laydown pattern of the original;
3: Dip the finished assembly in transformer varnish and bake it to dry it out.

Only Strong would know those values and good luck getting them to tell you. [Roll Eyes]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2012 12:14 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions, Tony.

It's got an open winding and I was hoping to have a bash at winding a replacement coil.

I did find an onsite calculator for winding chokes which is here for posterity. D.C choke winding formulas.

I haven't yet tried Strong for the choke specs, but based on your advice I may well forget that line of action.

Many Thanks for the suggestions... I'm off to get this thing sorted.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-07-2012 12:24 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome and best of luck to you.

Making sure I am clear since you didn't give specifics (and I am very tired as I was working in Corona getting set up for my annual Renaissance Fest) are we talking a heavy output choke on a magnetic rectifier or a choke on a switching rectifier's control board?

Reason I am asking is that if it is an output choke wound with heavy-guage wire the tolerances are not very critical and a do-it-yourself attempt has a high chance of success.

One of the smaller chokes on a switcher's control circuitry however has to be done just right or it may fail to work properly or even cause damage to the control electronics.

If you can post pics of the choke in question and it's location in the rectifier that would be helpful.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-07-2012 08:27 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unwind the old choke measure the length of wire and cut a piece of the same guage and length and rewind it onto the core and it will be almost the same
Remember at best large currents chokes are often 10% tolerance

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2012 06:58 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update.

I gave up trying to get any values out of Strong and so tried Gordon's method and all is now well...not much fun but successful nevertheless.

Thanks Guys! [thumbsup]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-21-2012 07:24 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the 2Kw single phase, high reactance unit? If so, they added an (unnecessary) choke on some models. I have removed it with no ill effects. It was noisy due to the magnetic effect of its mounting.

Remember, I live in 60 Hz land. louis

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2012 11:24 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the unit, Louis.

They aren't much quieter here in Slow Power land either.

Knowing what you have said, I'll try the same thing and see how it runs.

Many Thanks

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-22-2012 12:21 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong did an all around bad job on the construction of the chokes but the idea was to improve the inrush current and the ripple. These are both critical to long bulb life with no flicker.

I would be careful about removing it without some thought about these issues.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2012 02:48 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about beefing up the filtering caps. Granted, that would increase the inrush but the output smoothing would be a bit better.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-22-2012 06:52 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I have something fail in a 50 Hz country, I blame it on "slow electricity." Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: