Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How do you turn on your sound rack? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How do you turn on your sound rack?
Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2012 05:55 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you just hit a breaker and everything is powered on?
Or do you power up individual items?
If so...what do you start with?
All amps at once?
So, what is the correct way to power up a sound rack?

This is for film projection..

Dolby DA-10
Dolby Digital Preamp
Dolby CP65
Rack sound monitor
exciter supply
Power Amps (7)
Dolby 24V Power supply

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2012 06:19 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my CP 65 and each amplifier on a dedicated breaker.
Processor on first and then each amp on one at a time via the breakers.
Somewhere in no particular order come the cat 700 and other units.
At night the processor goes off last to avoid the boom.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-04-2012 06:38 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
amps last (individually or through a power sequencer). All others don't care.

- Carsten

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-04-2012 06:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen a power sequencer in a motion-picture sound system, but that is the easiest way to do it (and is common in other types of installed systems; the cinema people seem to be behind the times on this one).

As said above, amps go on last and off first. Turning on all amps at once will probably blow a fuse and/or trip a breaker, so they should be on separate circuits (or just use the switches on the front and power them up one at a time manually.

A while back, Brad posted that he has the electrician set up electrical panels so that breakers can be turned on in order and turned off in reverse order. This is a good idea for making a fool-proof booth.

Be especially careful with the CP50 and CP200--both of these make a loud "pop" when powered on or off and can easily blow speakers. The CP65 (I don't remember about the CP55) and later do not seem to have this issue.

Also, I prefer to have the processor wake up in non-sync, rather than a film format, as it reduces the chances of someone trying to thread the machines without checking the format and changeover state on the processor (and probably making a thump-thump in the speakers as well). Most places do this anyway, as they use the cinema system for walk-in music.

Last point: if you are showing many mono films, and you have any hiss or hum in your system at all, leave the unneeded amps turned off when showing non-Dolby films. Your audiences will thank you.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-04-2012 08:24 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 breakers for rack in no particular order. properly designed system do not "pop." Inrush current limits breakers to 2 or 3 amps. Professional amps have an internal mute circuit to allow silent start up.

I have used sequencers, but only when fewer than 4 circuits were available. Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-04-2012 11:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Vollmers
Dolby DA-10
Dolby Digital Preamp

What is the difference between these two things? Also, why do you still have a DA10? Didn't Dolby replace all of those with DA20s for free?

Also, how do you power up the Dolby stuff before you power up the "Dolby power supply"? What is this Dolby power supply? The DA10 and CP65 just plug into regular receptacles without any external DC conversion.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-05-2012 05:38 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like he may have the cat 699 reader which has no electronics. I am also surprised to see DA10. Louis

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2012 06:20 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Updated whats in the rack..sorry

Dolby DA-20
Dolby MPU-1 Preamp
Dolby 24V Power supply for preamp
XD-10
Dolby CP65
Rack sound monitor
exciter supply
Power Amps (7)

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-05-2012 06:27 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to power up your equipment with a delay, why not invest in one or more switched PDUs? APC offers them. You can configure aa start-up delay per outlet. They are also remotely manageable, so you can manage your equipment via a web interface or even automate the whole thing via SNMP.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-05-2012 09:02 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this one of those questions where you're supposed to make a funny video of yourself using some kind of Rube Goldberg contraption to turn your sound system on then post it on YouTube? [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-05-2012 12:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen systems with line conditioners that gradually increase the voltage and decrease per on and off conditions for high powered components.

..like a big variac.

True, it's that sudden "pop" that loves to take out HF horn diaphrams. Replaced a few of them.

-Monte

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-05-2012 04:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't even bother turning on the MPU1. It probably doesn't draw a lot of current, but it's not doing anything.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 05-05-2012 07:00 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One breaker turns the lot on with amp attenuators brought up to full after 5 seconds.
Before turn off, attenuators turned fully off then breaker.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-07-2012 12:14 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Ian, what ancient amps are you using? And if all your amps are run wide open then you are not getting the best gain structure which will leave a lot of hiss and also make it far easier for someone to jack the gains of the processor and blow out speakers.

As for power up of my rack at home, the AMX, DirecTv, and CP650 (I need to take a new pic as my one here shows my now-retired CP-65) stay on 24/7 and are on a UPS. The DCM 10 monitor and the DCA power amps are switched on with a 25 amp solid stare relay controlled by the AMX system.

Most of the screening rooms I have done are set up the same way. My home rack is wired for 3 circuits but is powered off of one 20 amp circuit for now. My screening rooms have a minimum of four circuits, usually 5 circuits. One circuit for all the processing/sources and the others are divided among the amps and switched using the solid state relays.

The AMX systems do the sequencing according to amps on last and off first.

Oh, for cinemas I had no more than two power amps per circuit, paired off like this:

left and right, center and surround, subs (always only one amp per circuit)

For the stage channels if bi- or tri-amped same configuration but I tried to not allow all of the LF channels to pair off on the same circuit.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-07-2012 11:56 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
The DCM 10 monitor and the DCA power amps are switched on with a 25 amp solid stare relay controlled by the AMX system.
I, too, turn on equipment by looking at them very intensely. Not sure if I get 25 amps out of it, but it's worked ok so far. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: