Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS hardware adjustments??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SDDS hardware adjustments???
Adriaan Bijl
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2012 08:52 AM      Profile for Adriaan Bijl   Author's Homepage   Email Adriaan Bijl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently, I was able to add SDDS in my own booth, just for fun. I installed the software on my laptop connected it with the DFP-2000 adjusted the levels and ran the testreel distortion free on all channels!!!
But here's my problem: All the levels are at minimum but the output is still too loud. I can adjust the levels on the amps, but then my DTS 6-AD needs adjustment. Is there an easy way to adjust the volume settings hardware in the Sony processor/reader? Or do you need 'qualified personnel and/or equipment' to do that?

Thanks for reading this... [Wink]

Adriaan

|  IP: Logged

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2012 11:03 AM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know in the 3000 there is a way to individually control each of the source levels in the unit. Bernie Anderson set up a 2000 a few months ago, he should know the answer.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-04-2012 11:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is not an overall gain structure setting in the 2000 as there was in the 3000.

However, on each channel you can knock them down by 27dB and the "fader" has a +/- 10dB of range...-37dB is HUGE...you must have some really poor gain structure if you can not achieve a usable level.

Don't be too concerned if your volume has to go down to -5dB or so for you to be happy with level few people can withstand the studio reference).

-Steve

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2012 12:55 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever had trouble connecting up via PC and serial using the SDDS software? I've been utterly unable to get any version of the software to connect to the unit. I've made double sure i'm using the correct type of serial cable, even put a null modem adapter with no luck. I've tried with a windows XP laptop with a true serial port that is known good and even tried using an old Pentium II tower running windows 98. Is there a setting that has to be enabled or something on the processor itself to allow serial connections? I managed to set lip sync using the buttons on the inside of the front panel (which was a pain), but obviously would like to play with more of the settings.

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2012 02:22 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, did you set the data rate at 9600? That got me the 1st time around in getting them to talk to each other..

Adriaan Bijl
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2012 05:03 PM      Profile for Adriaan Bijl   Author's Homepage   Email Adriaan Bijl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steve, for your reply and insight. 37 dB is quite a lot and I guess it is indeed a mindset, that your fader doesn't have to be in middle to have proper sound reproduction. I am now on -6.00 dB on the fader and with -20 dB via the individual channels, it just works fine.

So now a new quest: does anyone now where I could find:
a hard-coated LaVezzi sprocket
a remote fader for in my auditorium

Also, I am not able to change the date in the processor via the software, it is now on 10 January 2000. Can I do that via the frontdoor panel?

With reference to Sean's question: When you connect to the processor, what is the outcome after the attempt:
1: 'cannot connect, try again and when it happens again reboot the software', or
2: 'cannot connect, check cable and try again'

If it is #1, the PC doesn't 'see' the processor, so the connection betweem them is wrong. Use a Real null-modem cable, I would say.
If it is #2, it is indeed the data rate. I had to go as low as 4800 to make the connection.

Adriaan

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 05-05-2012 05:12 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Sean, I am having big trouble getting the PC laptop to connect to the DFP2000 with a constant message about no port available.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with XP on top of VMWare over Vista?

My laptop has no serial ports, only usbs and so has the appropriate adapter cable and null modem and I still get the port message.

Any ideas would be a huge help.

Adriaan Bijl
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2012 08:24 AM      Profile for Adriaan Bijl   Author's Homepage   Email Adriaan Bijl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a laptop (windows XP) with only USB ports and tried several different USB to Serial adaptors, nothing worked. When I found a docking-station for my laptop with a serial port, I was able to connect with the processor, relatively easy. (The Null-Modem cable was the last hurdle.)
Try to find something with a serial port that runs on XP and you should be fine. The latest software version from the SDDS site only works with NT or XP.

Adriaan

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2012 01:17 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will try 9600. I didn't think it would be that slow.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-05-2012 04:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah...the SDDS software was definitely stuck in Win98 and EARLIER land...the last version did work with XP...you MUST use a NULL MODEM cable...which will have the wrong gender on one end (thank you Sony) so we made our own...use the RS232 port. 9600 is good advice too. There is nothing too fast going on here.

-Steve

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2012 11:16 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind this stuff was built and programmed fo the mid-1990s. I use a machine with Xp and a RS 232 port. I would doubt that 7 or even usb adaptors would do it. Must use that null modem adaptor.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-06-2012 02:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that just a simple serial extension cord with M/F on each end?

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 05-07-2012 12:07 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte.
Needs to be a null modem cable and because of that cable, a sex changer has to be used.
If I remember right, Sony in theie infinite wisdom decided to use a male RS 232 on the unit. This has always bugged me because if the pins are damaged for whatever reason, it is so much harder to change the onboard male socket than a faulty cable with male connectors on it.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-07-2012 12:43 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Step-by-step SDDS Hardware adjustment instructions:

TOOLS Needed:
Screwdrivers for rack screws and DB connector screws; your favorite beverage on standby.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1: Disconnect the power cord;
2: Disconnect the reader(s) cables;
3: Disconnect audio and automation cables;
4: Remove the (4) screws which hold the processor in the rack (WARNING: The processor is heavy, support it during removal to avoid damage to other rack components!);
5: After removing the processor from the rack remove the reader(s), cable(s) and adaptor plate(s) from the projector(s).
6: Carry processor, reader and cables to the nearest dumpster and toss them all in. (DO NOT place them in the dumpster carefully as no one would want to reclaim them anyway.)
7: Install Dolby or DTS processor and readers;
8: Perform "A" and "B" chain alignments which do not require an outdated computer to complete;
9: Enjoy a better-sounding, still-supported by the manufacturer technology along with your favorite beverage called out in the Tools required section above.

Simple fix and you get rid of the crap in your screening room. Win-Win. [Big Grin]

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2012 11:28 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have DTS and SDDS and always prefer the extra dynamic range SDDS offers (provided the print is ok).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: