Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » what is this thing called (film titles on leaders)

Author Topic: what is this thing called (film titles on leaders)
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-22-2012 03:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a typical one from a Warner Bros. title, with a style that is common to WB releases from the 1940s through the mid-1960s (at least):

-

And a less elaborate but more typical example; this one is shot for a full-aperture frame, but cropped because of the soundtrack:

-

Video people would call this a "slate," although the video "slate" typically seen usually adds information like sound format, running time, production company, etc.

What is the "film" term for this? And why are these not seen on current releases? The practice seems to have lasted at least partially through the 1970s. Why and when did it stop?

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2012 06:35 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Scott those are tails you are looking at but I don't know what the image is called. I've seen many of these in my years as a change-over operator. I imagine they are not used today because the labs know the tails (and most leaders) are cut off to put the film on a platter and they probably figure the reel info on the leader is sufficient.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-22-2012 07:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call them "I.D." marks being from the decision of Academy Standards set in 1937.

The "stop sign" looks like a standard from Technicolor labs (seen this on nitrate prints).

FOX, even had a "CinemaScope" trademark lengthwise on the leaders along with the "20th Century-Fox" trademark next to it.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2012 10:07 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In lab parlance they are called "Part Titles".
Looking at a generic Academy leader, there are a few frames ahead of START that say just that, the intention being that the information frames be inserted at that point.
The Academy Leader (Start, 11, 10.. etc.) was established in 1930.
Several studios had very elaborate designs, such as the WB example shown. MGM's silents were very artsy. When sound came in, they just became utilitarian. One could write an article on these designs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: