Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » focus problem on scope lenses

Author Topic: focus problem on scope lenses
Michael Uebler
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2012 09:22 PM      Profile for Michael Uebler   Email Michael Uebler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having trouble achieving optimum focus on any films shown in scope. i've been having this problem for about 3 months now my flat lenses give a perfect image, but when ever i show a movie in scope i get a good central focus but towords the bottom it is always blurry this is especially prevailent when showing credits but it's generally there through all films i'm running off of two simplex XL's and both scope lenses have the same issues, i've tried doing some ghosting during a test run i set up and that is not the issue, any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2012 09:58 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will have to tell us what model Simplex XL you have,straight or curved gate,turret.
What make are your lenses and lamp house?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-18-2012 01:17 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Focusing Anamorphics

Michael Uebler
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2012 07:54 PM      Profile for Michael Uebler   Email Michael Uebler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok no problem the equipment i'm running are two simplex XL PR-1003 and PR-1004 with a strait turret. Phillips xenon lamp model LTIX2000W-H, and for my scope lenses they are Schneider-Kreuznach WA cinelux anamorphic 2x

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2012 08:23 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear,are both your flat and scope lenses together on a rotating turret?
Regarding the gate,does it have flexible band straps that you close the gate on?They would be in front of the gate trap around the aperture.
Either way I would look to see if the position of the scope picture has moved on screen? The fact that both projectors have the same problem makes me think someone adjusted both scope lenses to ill effect.Assuming they were fine 3 months ago.

Michael Uebler
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2012 10:46 PM      Profile for Michael Uebler   Email Michael Uebler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ya so tonight after my show i took adam's advice and got a hold of some PR-35 test film and adjusted accordingly seems to have done the trick someone else must have messed with them on a night i took off, i just wish i would have noticed my bottom reel had an indent before i knew it a buldge formed and got a few good wraps around the bottom arm thank god it wasn't during an actual show i guess thats what happens when the people that worked there before me didn't know there ass from there elbow when it comes to projecting

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: