Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Ultra 80 Bulb Compatability

Author Topic: Strong Ultra 80 Bulb Compatability
Donald Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2012 08:40 PM      Profile for Donald Brown   Email Donald Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the Strong Ultra 80, #40001, lamp house require adapters for bulbs other than the 7,000 watt units for which it was designed? There is no reference in the original manual for the unit addressing this specifically. The text only states that no adapter is required with either 7,000 watt or 10,000 watt xenon bulbs in the #40001 or #40002, respectively.
I have the opportunity to pick up a couple of low hour 4,000 watt units from a theatre that is converting to digital, but the current operator of the location with the Ultra 80s is unsure whether the existing bulbs are fitted with adapters.
Any insight on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don Brown

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-18-2012 12:13 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It probably isn't easy but it's possible.
I think you have a U80 and can get used 4kW lamps, is this correct?
If so, I think you will have to do some research and possibly have some metal bits made. Possibly Strong have adapters for a 4kW lamp. You need to know if it is a 4kW H or HS lamp, then call Ballantyne and ask if U80 collets and clamps are available to fit it. The manual shows them for 7kW, 10kW, and 5kW (all different collets) but nothing smaller. That does not mean they don't exist and unless someone here has a part number only Strong can tell you.
You can certainly make a collet extender, anode extension if needed, anode cable extension if needed... but if Strong has the parts available that makes it easier.
But why? Did you get a free U80 somewhere but don't need 7kW?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-18-2012 05:55 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4KW - 7KW "HS" style lamps all use essentially the same package (8mm cathode pin) with Osram's 5KW being the notable exception. As such, yes, you can use 4KW HS style lamps in an Ultra-80. In fact, if you look in the Super-80 manual, you can even refit an Ultra-80 for 3KW lamps (change the Cathode adapter). Strong will likely have the adapters still. The Ultra-80 remains in production as it is also part of the "Gladiator" spotlight line.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-18-2012 06:51 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have at least 6 that are using the XBO-4500w/hs bulb. Bulb life is very good due to the exceptional cooling. (As Steve said: same size as the others, except 5kw.) Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: