Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » pre show projector automation

Author Topic: pre show projector automation
Bradley Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2012 12:29 PM      Profile for Bradley Johnson   Email Bradley Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is with great sadness that we (The Newport Roxy) have said good bye to our dual carbon arc lamp, 35mm simplex projectors. Not only have we converted to digital (we open tonight), but we have also converted the theater from a 450 seat single screen to a three screen house. It has been quite a undertaking driven by a unkind budget. My question for the forum is based on controlling a pre show projector. We have a Integ Jnior automation system that controls the in house lights, curtain, etc. The projector that I would like to just turn on and off is a Benq sp830. The Benq has a serial port for control. Is there a box that can be controlled via the Jnior that will send commands via RS-232 to the Benq?

Thank you

|  IP: Logged

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2012 03:37 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you need a pre-show projector?
Use your main projector. There's no real saving in using another one.
The main projector lamp going to be on all the time anyway.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-14-2012 09:04 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Jnior can do it all. Contact Rick Shulkowski at Integ for the exact setup procedure, it's not hard but I can't explain it correctly.
You load a "Cinema Jnior" package into the Jnior 310. Then in the Jnior you set up the projector as a device, link some commands to it, and the Jnior will control the projector via the serial port. You send macro commands to the Jnior from your server as usual, and the Jnior takes care of the serial control of the projector.

Bradley Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2012 03:46 PM      Profile for Bradley Johnson   Email Bradley Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Castle
Why do you need a pre-show projector?
Use your main projector. There's no real saving in using another one.

yep, I said the same thing but the owner seems to think that it will be cheaper to run the preshow adds on the small projector. Also the preshow video is on VGA sent to all rooms via a computer. I would have to adapt from VGA to something the Barco has inputs for. The other issue is that the owner wants to run a consumer Blu ray player into the pre show projector for special events. If I am not mistaken, consumer dvd and blu ray will not play through the big projector because of security? I do not know this for fact, havent tried it yet.

Thanks

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-14-2012 05:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If one really does the math...it is cheaper to use the xenon lamp in the DCinema projector than the lamp(s) in a cheap consumer projector (cost/hour...especially if equal lumens are used).

As for BluRay...if you set the BluRay to 1080p output, you can connect straight up to the DVI inputs via a suitable adapter or adapter cable (HDMI to DVI)...this is true of any DLP projector. Most of the IMBs coming out have an HDMI input to facilitate this as well.

As for the VGA signal...yes, that would need to be adapted via a suitable scaler/converter...of which there are many. One could also distribute the DVI signal as well now via Cat 5/6 solutions.

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2012 09:35 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We feed all sorts of video signals through our NEC, by passing them first into a domestic receiver (an Onkyo). This rescales DVD, computer, BluRay, and STB - while switching these inputs.
Works like a charm, although I think I need a Gefen box to avoid the HDCP handshake delays. The difficult situation with this setup is it is not automated - lots of button pressing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: