Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Low volume on film sound

Author Topic: Low volume on film sound
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2012 12:39 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had several customers tell me that they are experiencing "low volume" issues at our Screen 1. I have no volume knob so to speak of as it goes directly from the Component Engineering red reader to the Smart MOD IIB-DIT. The Broadcast Warehouse TX-5 FM transmitter is hooked up directly to the back of the SMART processor. I've never adjusted anything since Louis Bornwasser set it up 9 years ago. Could I have an LED on the sound reader starting to go out? We've got sound in the lobby, and that comes directly from an FM stereo tuned to the same channel. It's a Component Engineering ASR-40 or something like that. Any clues?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-03-2012 07:47 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would clean the LED and lens thoroughly. Make sure LED is off if you add any liquid. (I do it dry!)
Thanks for the kind words.

Probably the LED either needs changing or at least the current increased.

With Clyde Jacobs dead and me retired, I don't have any suggestions on who to call to do this simple work. Others near you seem to have their good and bad days, judging by their quality of work. Louis

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-03-2012 08:02 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do it dry!
Oh my! [sex]

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2012 08:33 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Manny!!

I'll give Mack Williams (my regular tech guy) a call this morning. Clyde and Mack have done all of my maintenance work here since we opened. I just need these machines to last until the end of November, then they'll retire to my garage. Trying our best to push the digital conversion out until we close for the winter.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-03-2012 07:26 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a pot to adjust the LED?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-03-2012 09:14 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CE ASR 40 reader has an external power supply with an LED trim pot and also the gain links on the line amp.

No doubt the LED is well into its last days as well but you might be able to get enough boost to get you by.

The manual should be on this site.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2012 08:43 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got my sound problem fixed. My tech came in last night and found that the volume levels on Screen 1 were about HALF of where they needed to be. He adjusted the current on the LED power supply, ran some Dolby test tone loops through the projector and had a scope hooked up to the sound reader. After he adjusted that, he recalibrated the SMART MOD II DIT cards to compensate for the increase. Not sure all of the technical stuff he did, but the sound is now fantastic as opposed to what it was.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-05-2012 02:53 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad it was simple! Louis

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-08-2012 07:09 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good on you for acting on it so fast, Barry. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: