Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 'Wrath of the Titans' aspect ratio

Author Topic: 'Wrath of the Titans' aspect ratio
Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 02:01 AM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else confused as to why 'Wrath of the Titans' is in 1.85 FLAT aspect ratio when the trailers for it were in scope (even the letterboxed flat versions)? The IMDB page even lists it as being 2.35.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2012 02:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not the first time that scope trailers for a movie shows it in full scope and letterbox for the flat trailers .. and the feature itself was released in flat.

Why I always use the final judgement - your eyes and visual inspection - to make sure of the proper lens format for 35mm releases.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-30-2012 04:32 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just another case that baffles me why it's so difficult for the studios to get us accurate run times and aspect ratios ahead of when we get the prints/drives. I know for some locations it matters because they only schedule scope or flat in specific auditoriums.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2012 05:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even, though agree: "Titans" would have looked better on the screen IN scope than flat being an epic action flik.

Flat looks so..'flat' - just doesn't have any life to it where the picture looks so soft and lifeless.

I have to focus the bulb down a smidge to get more light out through that 1.85:1 aperture.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-30-2012 10:39 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I didn't watch the whole movie, I will say the 3D looked pretty good in the 5 minutes or so I watched when I did my QC check. They obviously got the message about how bad Clash of the Titans looked.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-02-2012 09:51 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
However they obviously missed the message that the script blew.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2012 10:35 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks:

I much prefer flat over scope. I simply find the format more intimate and easy to view. I wish more films were flat.

Mike

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2012 11:06 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in the IMAX Digital presentation I saw, there was one shot where the Chimera creature whips it's tail into the viewers face and the image reverts to 2.35 framing - its a jarring very odd moment.

I agree with you Mike - screens that have vertical masking and the IMAX/speciality deluxe 'large' screens where masking is not an option and is open to 1.78 - the more film image that uses the entire screen is much more immersive than 2.35 film that have the black borders above and below the image.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-03-2012 12:35 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem isn't a scope aspect ratio, it's auditoriums being poorly designed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: