Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help w/age of equipment

Author Topic: Help w/age of equipment
Brian Rene Pattison
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2012 03:53 PM      Profile for Brian Rene Pattison   Email Brian Rene Pattison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for an aprox. age on some very old stuff: Powers 6B heads #22478, and 41122 W, ( the W is below the serial on the head), a Peerless low intensity lamphouse #11408, and a Peerless Automatic Arc Control #10384. Ballentyne said they had no records on anything that old. Thank You!

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2012 07:26 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just guessing -- 1915 or so.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2012 03:20 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Power's # 22478 is 1916
Power's # 41122 is 1924
The "W" may mean it was equiped with a heavy duty waffle gate. 1924 is near the merger with Acme & Simplex to form I.P.C.

Peerless lamp and arc controller is probably 1920's. Early lamps had a 10" condenser in the front with a small reflector.
Later ones had a larger mirror and no condenser. There were upgrade kits sold by Peerless.
Dick

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2012 05:48 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick:
I think you`re right on. Im an authoroty, because I`m 90 years old next month and have used the powers 6b and ran the old Peerless low lamps, both versions. It seems I am a goldmine of useless information.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-21-2012 06:24 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick: Thank you, it is great to see knowledge passed on from our more experienced folks.

Robert: An advance Happy Birthday on your 90th. [Smile] As I just said it is always great to have the knowledge to answer the questions no one else can, I would not consider your information as useless..and it is indeed a goldmine.

Take notice all you pups on the forum!! [Big Grin]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-21-2012 08:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are all "Masters Of Obsolete Technology." Moot.

(tube amplifiers, bi-planes, motion picture equipment. . . and anything else that made the 1930's wonderful!) Louis

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2012 06:57 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are amazing!
Robert -- Congrats on reaching 90.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2012 12:53 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the '50s I was planning a theatre in Wrightwood, California and had set aside a set of Powers equipment to use. One of these days I'm going to drive the two hours from where I live and meet Dick Prather. The man is amazing. And congratulations Robert on your 90th. I will reach 80 next month.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-22-2012 03:51 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel old just knowing all you esteemed gents! (63.7 years old)

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2012 05:27 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While only 17 Birthdays old I would be happy to meet any one of you gents and you are allways welcome to drop in and see the pile of old stuff. Never did see Power's running in a theatre but several in peoples basements. Did run Brenkert LI lamps, front shutter Simplex projectors, ERPI WE 208 soundheads for the film "Come See The Paradise".

Ran my first projector and real job (Century CC / SH-1000 / Moguls) in 1961 at 17 years old

I like collecting lots of old information to help me rebuild these machines and pass it along to people that may need it for their projects.

Happy Birthday to Robert & Robert. Robert Koch, I thought you were comming up to Portland to visit family some time?

With the demise of film I will enjoy passing stuff and info on.
Dick

Brian Rene Pattison
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2012 01:46 PM      Profile for Brian Rene Pattison   Email Brian Rene Pattison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the info, that was just what I was looking for!

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were you born in a leap year Dick? I have a son and his family living in Aloha. Next time we come up I'll try to contact you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: