Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Print Damaged

Author Topic: New Print Damaged
Christopher Spiwak
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2012 10:57 AM      Profile for Christopher Spiwak   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Spiwak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still relatively new to 35mm projection and haven't come across this yet. I just started building the print of Rampart, which was a new uncut print. Reel 4 started off with a slightly sticky, pinkish hue down the center of the print. A couple minutes into the reel, a chunk just fell apart. I've already called for a replacement reel, but what is this called and what caused it?

http://www.spiwakmusic.com/film/film1.jpg
http://www.spiwakmusic.com/film/film2.jpg

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2012 11:46 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow ! If that's a new print then quality control at the lab has sunk down to the Titanic!If it's from another theater then they have simply ruined it with poor handling times 10!

Christopher Spiwak
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2012 12:25 PM      Profile for Christopher Spiwak   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Spiwak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the whole print was new - 2 of the reels were tails out and the whole print was uncut (no splices at the check frames and printed tape sealing the heads/tails).

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2012 12:28 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the roll of film stock may have been that way before it was even printed and somehow it got past the labs quality control.
Did it come from Deluxe labs?

Christopher Spiwak
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2012 01:30 PM      Profile for Christopher Spiwak   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Spiwak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think so.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-19-2012 03:34 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher, please take note of Rule #4 in the Site Rules section.

>>RULE #4: Posting links off-site.
Film-Tech makes every possible attempt to preserve its archive as best as possible so that old information will still be around for everyone to enjoy for many years to come. For this reason, we have a very strict policy about linking to off-site information.<<

Here are the photos being spoken of in this thread.

-

-

Christopher Spiwak
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2012 09:57 AM      Profile for Christopher Spiwak   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Spiwak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for helping with posting those. Here are two better quality photos, uploaded and inserted correctly. Mods - please delete the links in my original post, it won't let me edit it anymore.

-

The pink "splotchiness" runs for about 15 minutes of the reel.

-

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2012 03:20 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless I'm mistaken it would appear the damage occured after printing. It should be blurred and severely discolored if the damage occured to the raw film stock.

Sounds like a shitty QC operator just shoving it out the door to cover his/her tracks to me...

Brent Francis
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2012 09:15 PM      Profile for Brent Francis   Author's Homepage   Email Brent Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet the emulsion didn't dry properly when it got processed, causing the sticky emulsion surface and discolouration.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: