Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS 2 projector changeover motor relay

Author Topic: SDDS 2 projector changeover motor relay
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2012 08:09 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm on to the next digital unit after getting the Dolby DA 20 wired in and running. Thanks to everyone for the help on the relays for the DA20, it works perfectly.

Since I'm getting equipment for nothing, I'd figure that I install the SDDS DFP2000. On my motor relays, I have a second isolated set of contact closures that I intended on using for SDDS changeover. My question is, the DFP takes the control through the Automation 37 pin DB connector, but not sure which pins to connect it to. I see there are pins for Proj 1 (pin 20) and Proj 2 (21), but can I use either pins 16,17,18,19 as the common?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-08-2012 08:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SDDS 2000 changeover function was absolutely wacky. So wacky, in fact, that after they explained it to me for our first installation (Motion Picture Association of America), I designed my own changeover interface for the 2000 so that it behaved like a DA20 (with motor relays and such). In fact, I put in DB9s so that if a DA20 was used in conjunction that the SCI (SDDS Changeover Interface) could daisy chain the motor relay information between the two systems.

It worked so well, we OEMed the SCI (and later SCIv2) to Sony

The logic of the 2000 was such that you had to pull in a relay when you started projector 1 and then release the relay when you started projector 2. They made no provision for "bumping" or "jockying" the motor down either...we did). Sony presumed all projectors used momentary start/stop switches...not so in America.

My recommendation is to see if you can get your hands on an SCIv2.

-Steve

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-08-2012 08:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
deleted

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2012 09:28 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, if its the case that it needs a held contact for one projector and an open contact for the 2nd machine, is it safe to say then, if I don't jockey the projector, I can hook the connection to the 2nd relay holding only Proj 2?

Doubt i'm gonna find a SCIv2

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-09-2012 04:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No...because when you changeover back to projector 1...it won't do the sound changeover until you turn projector #2's motor off.

BTW...I got that backwards...pull in a relay when you START projector 2 and release the relay when you START projector 1.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: