Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex 35 Projector / Framing issue (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Simplex 35 Projector / Framing issue
Zachary C Washburn
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2012 01:15 PM      Profile for Zachary C Washburn   Email Zachary C Washburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Have an old Simplex 35MM Projector Head model 1050 that keeps slipping out of frame. I have replaced the vertical drive shaft, the intermittent assembly, and just today replaced the framing the shutter assembly. It was good for all of about 30 minutes. As the projector is running I can actually feel a ticking on the framing knob.

Any suggestions? I am using an RCA sound head. The motor feels fine and I would imagine that if it was the gearbox I would be having another set of problems completely.

Thanks.

-Zach

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2012 01:39 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film gate closure, intermittent shoe alignment, film gate tension, worn intermittent shoes. Is the framing rake set in mid position?

Zachary C Washburn
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2012 01:44 PM      Profile for Zachary C Washburn   Email Zachary C Washburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the frame is set to mid position.

I replaced the intermittent as the entire assembly.

I can try the film gate closure. But the slip is definitely more rhythmic.

Looking inside the projector while it is running I can see that the guide rod on the framing and shutter assembly has a lot of back and forth movement. This was also present in the old assembly that I just removed. Any of my other projectors in motion don't show any movement at all here during operation.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2012 03:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The spring clips that holds the framing cam assembly (the round thing where you mount the intermittent assembly), located in the gear side of the machine, are wearing out by losing their spring tension.

Check with your dealer to see if you can get new clips to replace so you won't have problems with "rolling frame" issues.

But, if your gate tension is way too high, this will also pull on the assembly to roll it out of frame.

-Monte

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-02-2012 03:22 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a common problem, or at least one I've run into a few times.

There is a pressure spring on the framing shaft that wears out at causes this problem. I don't remember the number, and it is a bit of a pain to replace, but a simple fix.

When it starts slipping really bad, you can sit and watch the framing knob turning by itself.

Zachary C Washburn
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2012 04:56 PM      Profile for Zachary C Washburn   Email Zachary C Washburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Just replaced the tension spring on the framing shaft and the problem persists.

I am going to try replacing the spring clips on the framing cam next. I am not sure why the word spring would be used in conjunction with them. As they are completely solid. But when I replaced the intermittent assembly and framing cam I did reuse the old framing cam retainer springs.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-02-2012 05:07 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Older projectors have the solid ones. Order 4 spring clips and new screws as well.The old screws are too long. The new spring clips are way too flexible. Double them up and you will fix what is wrong.. . . . just like Monte says. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-02-2012 08:17 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me thinks the shutter compensator assy is ye cause. If you have access to another head, swap it out. Rebuilding one is not for the weak hearted (or weak fingered). Once they go, the compensation shaft that rides on the intermittent framing cam will start pounding it and rotate the framer around.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-02-2012 10:56 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Zachary C Washburn
I can see that the guide rod on the framing and shutter assembly has a lot of back and forth movement.
Steve is spot-on, as usual. [beer]

The shutter drive assy needs to be rebuilt.

Zachary, contact me by PM, I have a rebuilt assy (from my prized XL head) I can send you repair-exchange.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2012 12:35 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some years ago I experienced this with an XL. I called the Strong factory and spoke with one of their techs. He suggested loosening the 4 screws P1557 in P1746 idler gear shaft and pushing P1746 all the way to the right against framing cam P1708. It was a quick and dirty fix but it's been 13 years and the movement still doesn't creep.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2012 09:07 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this happening on the #1 XL in the old Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park, NJ in the summer of 1971. Reported it to the company tech, who instructed me to cut a piece of wood and wedge it between the framing knob and the casing.

It worked. It was still there at the end of the summer season when I left to go back to teaching school. Don't know if they ever fixed it the right way.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2012 12:48 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John T. Hendrickson, Jr
who instructed me to cut a piece of wood and wedge it between
Hmmm, how many topics on Film-Tech have been solved with wedging a piece of wood? It's a popular solution...I hope it dovetails into digital cinema so we don't lose this old tried and true solution.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2012 01:30 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have used wood wedges for leveling digital projectors! [thumbsup]

Zachary C Washburn
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2012 10:54 AM      Profile for Zachary C Washburn   Email Zachary C Washburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. I have now tried to changing out the tension clips. Problem still not solved.

Steve. I don't know if I am missing something about the compensator. I replaced the entire framing and shutter assembly with a working assembly from a house that was converted to digital. I would certainly believe the problem lies there. I have looked at my manual cover to cover and don't see anything labeled compensator.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-09-2012 02:52 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zachary, the shutter drive assembly you used is still bad, since as you said you can see the guide on the drive has a lot of movement. It MUST NOT bounce at all when the machine is running.

Until you fix that you will continue to have the problem and it will only get worse.

Contact me by PM I have a fresh assembly I can send you repair-exchange.

The compensator is the part of the shutter drive that is moved by the roller which rides on the framing cam that holds the intermittent. As you turn the framing knob, it shifts the shutter timing slightly to keep it perfectly sync'd with the movement of the intermittent sprocket. Without it, the shutter would be far enough out of time near the extremes of framing travel to have a lot of ghosting. Steve's use of the term compensator describes what it does, that is why you won't find it in the manuals.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: