Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm on Dolby CP500

Author Topic: 16mm on Dolby CP500
Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2012 12:12 PM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All,

After reading the manual of the CP500, am I correct in assuming that I can connect the 16mm opt sound to pin 15 of the accessory rack analog connector ?
And then it's just building a custom format for playing 16mm ?

Thanks,
Serge

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-01-2012 05:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a standard solid state photo cell with plus, minus and ground leads (balanced) from a 16mm projector, you can use the optical input for machine two on the 500 if the 500 is using machine 1 optical input from another projector.

If not, you can use the RCA "Non Sync no.2" input for non balanced inputs. Then use "Format 61" to use that aux input on the front panel, but sound will come from left/right speakers instead of the center speaker.

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2012 10:59 AM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Monte,

Thank you for the quick response on my question.
Unfortenaly, I use my CP500 with 2 35mm projectors and non sync 2 is in use for my tapedeck.

Serge

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-02-2012 11:19 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past, I have used the NS input (from a preamp, with its output Y'd); I created a custom format set for pro-logic decoding, with all channels but center and SW muted.

Another option would be to feed a solar-cell signal to the microphone input (which, annoyingly, is on a DB9 instead of XLR).

The external 6-channel input requires a cat. 685 card, which most CP500s do not have.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2012 11:35 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Serge Bosschaerts
I use my CP500 with 2 35mm projectors
..or, get a BACP Cat. # 09S breakout card, have the 16mm attached to that, but just hanging there, not connected.

Then, when need 16mm, undo the Machine 1 card and do the swapout.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-02-2012 11:00 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Serge If you want one of the breakouts that Monte suggested, send me a PM and I'll get one or two sent out to you.

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2012 04:13 AM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the info guys.

Scott, I have a cat685 installed for use with my DTS XD10.

I have already two breakoutboards in use for the 35mm optical.
The mic DB9 I think I can't use for 16mm because my Bauer Selecton 16mm has a pre-amp installed in the base.
That's why I was thinking about the DB25 acc. analog way.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2012 11:10 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you refering to analog acc on CP500 than that is db37 connector, and I think you can't get input on it, there are just some outputs and inputs to extra NR cards.....

But, since you're Bauer 16mm has preamp, why you just can simply take line signal from it and take it to NS1 or NS2, just take mono signal to both L and R inputs.....since all 16mm is mono?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: