Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hello&introduction&VIP PRO 35 Help Needed

Author Topic: Hello&introduction&VIP PRO 35 Help Needed
Dave Fleegel
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2012 11:10 PM      Profile for Dave Fleegel   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Fleegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not pretend to know anything about film handling.. in Jan of 2011 I bought a 5 screen Theatre in Medford, WI... I had at that point about 30 days of movie business experience. I'm as handy as the next guy and pride myself on DIY or teaching myself how to do something..I run VIP pro 35's and would like to know if anyone has the parts or can guide me where to find what I may need to synchronize two projecters in the same booth to run the same film.. I did pull this off last October.. with a Film Elevator that holds I think 12 feet of film... but one of my projectors is faster. so after some trial and error I decided that starting in the slower projector and going to the faster projector was the best option.. and through the guidance of another area Theatre owner.. he suggested flickering the power switch.. enough to create some lag.. in the motor.. but not enough to be noticed by the patrons.. especially with the Digital Sound.. of course every 10 minutes I have to do this process and it gets kind of old. Thanks for the help in advance

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-27-2012 12:09 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PRO's needs two things to run in sync with each other: Change the motors over to Sync motors and run toothed belts.

Sadly, good luck in finding these and any parts for the PRO 35 units since many of them gets busted up for scrap for the recycle due to: either location closures and/or digital conversions.

Chek with your supply dealer on these two parts.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2012 10:03 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie theater I used to work at had 7 projectors 3 had sync setups. We got sync parts for the other 4 but it was a small act of god as parts are non existent from strong. I think they actually did a little bit of modification to make it work they had to convert the machines to put the sync motor on the top of the projector like the new versions had. In the process they had to cut the top plate, their were no belt guards, and they couldn't get tensioner for the belts so they had to position the motors to put the tension on the belts. If your non sync motors are inside you projectors you are in for some fun. Else it should be as simple at stated above.

-mike

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-28-2012 11:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, seen that trick before: projectors having induction motors and with sync motors having a belt sprocket attached on the shaft and mounted below the induction motor, were a toothed belt would run a sprocket, that was attached to the rear of the induction motor so the sync motors would be in control for the two machines needed. The induction motor was just freewheeling with no power to it.

But with the PROS having a smooth belt to run the projector's transmission, a toothed belt to run the transmission is almost mandantory for sync use.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2012 06:02 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They got rid of the induction motor and replaced the pulleys with toothed pulleys and sprockets. It was a major pain how it was setup.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: