Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS 2000 and SImplex Xl

Author Topic: SDDS 2000 and SImplex Xl
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2012 05:38 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

I'm looking for assistance on mounting an SDDS 2000 reader to a simplex XL. I for the life of me can't figure out how this thing would be secure while on the top of the projector. I have a smaller plate that seems to connect to the upper reel arm mount and then another plate that looks as if it would sit on top (this plate is cut at the back for what looks to be a way to hold the cable up for strain relief). However, if I put this plate on top, the holes would be blocked by the actual reader. I picked up a few grub type screws thinking this may have been what was done but am unable to get the plate to feel secure (the plates are not mating parrallel to one another--so I get a little play between them).

I'm wondering if perhaps I have the wrong plate or if I'm just not mounting the plate correctly at all.

If anyone could share the original installation manual, or pictures I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Cody

|  IP: Logged

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2012 12:28 AM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I still have the bracket we used on our XL. I seem to recall that there are 2 plates, one on the reader and one on the projector. I'll take a look to see if I still have the plates and the installation manual.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2012 01:30 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original XL had mounting holes for the XL upper magazine. An adapter plate was required to mount other magazines and reel arms. I'm sure someone here has that part#.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2012 09:31 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The plate that goes on the XL requires very short allen head bolts, they must be flush when tight. The plate that holds the SDDS unit has a silver knob that fits into the bottom of the reader. Two more short (1/2"*5/16th") allen bolts then hold that plate to the XL plate. The reader then is placed on top of the locating knob and attaches to the SDDS plate with 3 small allen bolts that go through the edge of the reader below the door. There are also 2 threaded holes on the back edge of the SDDS plat that might be accessed through the back cover of the reader.
You're right about the reader blocking the bolts, but its been so long I don't remember if that's a problem or if the film alignment can be figured out before the reader is attached. I'll look at one tomorrow that we still have mounted to see if there's anything else.

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2012 05:39 AM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your replies. It sounds like I have the correct mounting plates and just need to get the right bolts for the upper plate.

If I get a chance this weekend, I'll post a picture of what I'm working with.

THanks,
Cody

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: