Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » An open letter to Tyler Perry (Page 1)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Author Topic: An open letter to Tyler Perry
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-25-2012 05:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Perry,

If you are going to continue to make boring movies that attract a ridiculous amount of customers, could you please at least conform to the audio standards set by the industry? Every-single-movie you make we have to run the volume at 8.5 to 9.

Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2012 04:00 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brad: I've seen most everything Perry has made and found them both entertaining and inspirational. I was wondering why you called them "boring". As for the sound you still had a couple of notches to go on your fader. Is it that you don't want the operator at the projector (where he/she should be anyway until the feature hits the screen or at least return to it to check focus and sound)?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-27-2012 04:40 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert:

While I can agree that the operator should be present at the start of the feature to check sound, focus, etc, it should NOT be the operator's responsibility to make up for the incompetence of the filmmaker/labs/editors.

Many years ago when I had to run Academy Qualifiers, a filmmaker came in with his 16mm print and a seven page (!) cue sheet telling the projectionist when to raise and lower the volume, adjust the tone and try to compensate for scenes that were printed too dark. I told the filmmaker that I had many other screens to attend to, and that I would start his film, check volume and focus and that was it, it would run the rest of the way with no more than random spot checks.

After his third entry into the booth without permission to whine about his film, I told him in no uncertain terms that his "baby" was just another piece of plastic running through a machine and I didn't give a rat's ass about his inability to have a properly recorded print made. Further, the next time he came into my booth without permission I would have him removed from the property and if necessary, arrested for trespassing.

Later that evening I apologized for being so harsh but also explained to him the reality of exhibition in today's (back then) environment. I also gave him tips on what to do when he had a new print struck to avoid the issues he had.

The point is, right or not, the reality is and has been for a long time that exhibition has been performed with little or no direct supervision by someone who may or may not be technically competent to provide a "flawless" presentation, with rare exception.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but at present, the closest we will ever get is a properly set up, spec'd and maintained digital system....or a film system where each competent operator has no more than two or three screens max to attend to so he/she can be diligent enough to catch any issues rapidly.

Yes, a good projectionist CAN handle a multiplex of say 10 screens with success, but my point is that it is physically impossible to closely monitor that many screens at all times.

I miss the days of single screen changeover operations where you HAD to stay alert..or totally fuck up the show.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-27-2012 06:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
I miss the days of single screen changeover operations where you HAD to stay alert..or totally fuck up the show.
Yup, I remember those days and my boss busting through the booth door when I would "accidentally" let the arc drift too much! [Big Grin]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2012 07:28 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too remember those days fondly Tony and Mike, While I have run multiplexes most of my experiences has been with carbon arc changeovers. I found that far less complicated than xenon automated systems. Digital would probably blow my mind.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-27-2012 08:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, there are 3 kinds of movies being made today in regards to sound.

#1 Tyler Perry movies. We always have to play them about 9 on the fader.

#2 Michael Bay movies. These typically play about 4 on the fader.

#3 Every other movie. These all play quite perfectly at 7 on the fader.

Tyler and Michael need to get their act together, plain and simple.

And yes, Tyler Perry movies are quite boring to me with their awful scripts, acting and crank-them-out-like-a-daily-soap-opera production value. In fairness Mr. Bay's crapfests don't do anything for me either. Still, the entertainment value of the movies are only my opinion. The fader issue is fact.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-27-2012 09:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert E. Allen
you still had a couple of notches to go on your fader.
So it's fine if the sound plays at an acceptable level just as long as it is within the range of "notches"? How much is a notch anyway? I was always annoyed when I was asked to turn the sound up or down a notch.

quote: Robert E. Allen
Is it that you don't want the operator at the projector
Irrelevant with today's automation. The automation is perfectly capable of adjusting the volume to 8.5 or 9. It's just that isn't the standard. This affects both dynamic range and noise floor.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-27-2012 09:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Filmmakers" (videographers really) need to get their movies mixed at the right audio level and just stop being assholes.

I've never watched a Tyler Perry movie in a commercial theater setting so I never knew about him mixing the movie audio low. Maybe he is doing that so all the people in the movie theater yakking away at each other, on their phones or talking at the screen can hear what they are saying.

My biggest gripe with audio still persists with the jerks who create movie trailers and commercials. Those damned things are always more hot than the feature. And it doesn't even make any difference if you're watching something in the movie theater or seeing something at home. The commercial audio is always quite a bit louder. I really would like to be there when the suit wearing executive tells the audio guy to ride that mixing fader hotter and hotter. I'd blind-side the suit with an elbow into his cheek bone. Those guys need an ass-beating lesson like that obviously. They have never taken any of the previous hints in more reasonable tones.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2012 09:42 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our trailer packs are a good bit of fun that way - start in SR-D at 3.5 for the ads, then over to A-type at 5, then back to SR-D but this time at 4, then mono at 9, and so on.

Another year or two of the loudness wars and the ads will hit that magic ~2.5 mark on the CP-500... where 0.1 each way renders them inaudible or deafening.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-27-2012 09:47 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
How much is a notch anyway?
Someone from Dolby once told me that each point on the fader translated to a difference of about 3dB SPL. Almost anyone can discern a difference of about 2dB. Audio professionals can often detect a difference of about 1dB. So it depends on who's asking? A pro might only want a difference of 0.3-0.5 but an "average Joe" might need a full "notch" to sense a change.

However, I have found that this idea starts to fall apart when you are operating in the lower range -- roughly 4.0 and under -- where a difference of 0.1 can make a big difference between something being too loud or just right.

So, if the Tyler Perry movies are working those low numbers, then it takes more effort to find the fader setting that is "just right" -- whereas, if a movie is playing near 7.0, there's more wiggle-room because you'd need a difference of 0.3 to 0.5 to make the same kind of dent. If 7.0 is too loud, I usually try 6.5 first. And if you're really super-picky then you have a few decimal "notches" to fine-tune the level. (But that's not usually necessary.)

Not so with the lower numbers -- There's nothing between 4.0 and 3.9 (on a CP650) and, believe me, there can be a huge difference between those two fader settings.

So there are, in my opinion, very practical concerns if a film is recorded too loud.

And, if we're talking about an optical track, there's a good bet they've got optical clash if it's recorded so hot that we're working the 4's on the fader. Optical clash = distortion.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2012 09:59 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe - The last house I worked with automation was a CineMark Tinseltown with Christie projectors and consoles. It did not control either sound level or focus.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-27-2012 10:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark is not really known for installing impressive booth equipment. But the projector and consoles are irrelevant. It's the automation that matters.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-27-2012 10:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
And, if we're talking about an optical track, there's a good bet they've got optical clash if it's recorded so hot that we're working the 4's on the fader. Optical clash = distortion.
Does Tyler Perry put a lot of thumping audio into the music mix of his movies? Could he perhaps be mixing everything else really low to provide more room for some booming music at a certain point of the show? Modern movie mixes are made first and foremost for 5.1 digital audio and then compressed downward for the analog optical track, but if someone wanted to save money and try to use the same mix for both digital and analog he would really have to bring down the levels to avoid crashing the matrix.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-27-2012 10:14 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One easy way to tell -- we'll do an A/B comparison of Brad's favorite Tyler Perry movie!

Road Trip!!! We're goin' to Texas!!!

[beer]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-27-2012 10:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tyler Perry did not make Road Trip, although that is a much better movie than anything he has made. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: