Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » can i run my Bauer Selecton II at 18fps?

Author Topic: can i run my Bauer Selecton II at 18fps?
Simon Killalea
Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2012 11:24 PM      Profile for Simon Killalea   Email Simon Killalea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For an upcoming 16mm screening of "The Phantom Carriage" I'd like to run our Bauer Selecton II projector at 18fps. In the manual it looks like it runs at 16 and 24fps but my German is not good. Does anyone know if it can run at 18fps? or failing that, how to get it to run at 16fps?
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-25-2012 09:22 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you scan and upload the relevant bits of the manual? I'm not familiar with this machine, but I do have reasonable German. There are also a few native German speakers on F-T who could potentially be able to help, too.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2012 12:17 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to think it's a belt shift. Does the drive pulley have two sizes/diameters? As far as 16 vs 18 fps, I doubt anyone would notice.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-25-2012 01:14 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't resist: [Big Grin]

I know a little German

Simon Killalea
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2012 06:02 PM      Profile for Simon Killalea   Email Simon Killalea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I typed the bits of the manual into Babelfish like my wife told me to in the first place and here we go - seems to run at 16 i need the "Metropolitan umschaltbarem motor" installed.

Sollen Mit dem Projektor auch Stummfilme vorgeführt werden, so kann ein polumschaltbarer Motor eingebaut werden, der das Vorfüren mit 16 und 24 Bildern/sec gestattet.

You want to with the projector also silent films presented are, so a metropolitan umschaltbarer motor can be installed, which allows the Vorfüren with 16 and 24 images/sec.

Der Antriebsmotor
ist an das Projektorwerk angeßanscht und elastisch mit dem Werk gekuppelt. Es ist ein sogenannter Asynchronmotor, der unabhängig von den in vielen Stromnetzen üblichen Spannungsschwankungen eine gleichblibende Vorführgeschwindigkeit von 24 Bildern/sec gewährleistet und damit den Erfordernissen des Tonfilms zwangsläufig entspricht.
Wenn der Projektor mit polumschaltbarem Motor ausgestattet ist, so ist auch in diesem Falle eine gleichbleibende Vorführgeschwindigkeit von 16 oder 24 Bilder/sec gewährleistet. Gewöhnlich wird der Motor für Anschluß an Drehstrom von 220/380 Volt vorgesehen. Wo es die Stromverhältnisse erforden, kann das Gerät aber auch mit Einphasenwechselstrom-Motor zum Anschluß an die üblichen zweipoligen Netzsteckdosen geliefert werden. Für den Betrieb mit Gleichstrom sind beide Motorarten nicht geeignet.

The drive motor is angeßanscht in the work of the projector and coupled with the work of elastic. It is a so-called asynchronous motor which guarantees a maintains projection speed of 24 images/sec regardless of the usual in many electricity voltage fluctuations and thus necessarily satisfies the needs of sound film.
If the projector with Metropolitan umschaltbarem engine is equipped, so a consistent projection speed of 16 or 24 is images/sec guaranteed also in this case. Typically, the engine is provided for connection to three-phase 220/380 volts. Where the balance of power needed, the device but also with single-phase AC motor for connecting to the usual two-pole power sockets can be delivered. Both engine types are not suitable for use with DC.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2012 12:12 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The drive motor of the Selecton is direct-coupled to the projector head. The usual single speed motor type here is MD3R2A1 for 24 fps on 3 phase mains. Two-speed operation is achieved by fitting their dual speed motor (cant recall the part number). If your machine already has this there will be a speed selector switch on the column, either incorporated in the main panel, or just below it. These machines typically also have a three-bladed shutter. Parts are very hard to find now, so the best solution will be to find a suitable motor speed control "inverter" and control the speed using the AC frequency. They are not hugely expensive, and can be arranged for continuously variable speed, and ramped start and stop. Flicker from a two blade shutter shouldn't be too objectionable down to about 20fps, depending on the screen luminance.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2012 10:48 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with Phillip's advice, much easier than finding another motor, and you will be able to adjust speed for any silent film which can range from 15 to 24 fps.

If you need spare parts for Bauer Selecton machines, I recommend posting on the German projectionist site. There are still many Selectons around here, so if you need certain parts just open a thread:

filmvorfuehrer.de (projectionist forum)

Simon Killalea
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2012 06:31 PM      Profile for Simon Killalea   Email Simon Killalea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys. i'll check out what we can do with an inverter. appreciate the advice.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: