Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP65 / DA 20 output level difference

Author Topic: CP65 / DA 20 output level difference
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2012 12:06 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still playing around with my CP65 and DA 20 combo at home. When I set up the 65 last year, I didn't have the DA 20 yet. I set the output to 85db on the stage speakers and the split surrounds at 82db. When I use the DA20, the digital output is louder than analog. The amp that I'm using is a Yamaha receiver with 6 channel inputs. I usually run the CP65 at 5 with the Yamaha at -10 (it's max is +2). When the DA20 is running, I have to turn the Yamaha down to -20 or -25.

Am I missing something? I don't see anything that has to do with specific digital input gain for balance between analog and digital.

|  IP: Logged

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2012 08:23 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid question perhaps, but how did you set up the CP65? Did you use the Cat 85 to set your levels?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-23-2012 09:51 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The setup of the b-chain sounds right if you used a pink noise generator in the 65.

The analog audio input for the processor is part of the A chain. Dolby level needs to be set using Cat. 69 test film.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2012 10:45 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Sam said^^,

Every time I've heard this said, I've found that the A chain alignment was lacking in some way, often a good clean of the glassy bits and set Dolby level properly was all it needed.

Sometimes people confuse tonality and quality with volume, what I mean is you have a DA20 playing SRD, sounds lovely. Then it reverts, and you have analogue SR reproduced by a sound head incapable of anything over 8kHz, or with such poor slit illumination it's distorting and clipping/compressing loud passages... Distortion is often mistaken for volume.
You can't expect SRD to precisely tonally match analogue from a 1940's Kalee/British Acoustic rep set, is my point.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2012 12:49 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, used CAT 85 to set up levels (digital does sound great) and I'm running with a CE reverse scan. I'll have to go through the whole thing again and check it to see what's going on. I'd figure I ask just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-23-2012 02:33 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible the Dolby meters on the 222 are off a bit for one reason or another. To double check, use a meter and measure the L and R level coming out of the 240 running cat. No. 69T. It should be around 300 mV and both the same if the meters are showing Dolby level.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2012 04:20 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. I'll take a look at that too. Shouldn't the output to amps also be at 300mV too to properly set output level?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-23-2012 05:46 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember to set Dolby level in MONO.

If set correct and well, there should be minimal difference between high quality analog and the DA-20. Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-23-2012 05:56 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Bernie's last point:

The output level of the 65 has nothing to do with what we were discussing before as I'm sure you know.

Output levels have been discussed many times in the past. I tend to run the output higher, closer to 700 mVolts. This minimizes any hum or noise induced on the wiring between the processor and amplifier.

There is no real point to setting them exactly for any specific number, either before or after doing the EQ.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-24-2012 10:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Point of Information...on the CP65 using the Cat 85 (or CE SG-1)...the surrounds should be set to 85dB/Side, not 82...the Cat 441 boosts optical surround by 3dB and one is in the optical mode when setting the surround levels.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: