Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » non-sync audio bleeding through into feature (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: non-sync audio bleeding through into feature
Steven Stroud
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2012 01:50 AM      Profile for Steven Stroud   Email Steven Stroud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am but a humble booth monkey looking for some input on a situation.

I have several auditoriums with older Smart Mod IIB & IIIB processors with the high end of the non-sync audio bleeding though into the feature audio.

None of the houses with the newer processors have this problem.

Our booth tech has, at this point, advised us to turn the preamp trim pots on the DA 226 processor that feeds the individual houses down to their lowest levels. Meanwhile he says that we can turn the individual house non-sync trim pots up a little more to compensate.

If anyone could just point me in the general direction of a fix for this situation, I would be most appreciative.

I don't like that fact that my guests who are there to watch Hugo have to hear the remix of Beauty and the Beast stepping all over the dialogue during the quiet portions...

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-21-2012 02:56 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe put a switch on the N/S feed, which comes from the source, so you can physically disconnect the feed from going into the processor...as an easy and cheap fix for now.

Seen a few of those installations mods in older booths from time to time....

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2012 08:21 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is this both in digital and analog playback or just analog?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-21-2012 09:20 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steven Stroud
Our booth tech has, at this point, advised us to turn the preamp trim pots on the DA 226 processor that feeds the individual houses down to their lowest levels. Meanwhile he says that we can turn the individual house non-sync trim pots up a little more to compensate.
Have you tried this yet?

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2012 09:26 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had theatres with Smart Mod IV processors (with a Smart DA for non-sync) and the non-sync on those would bleed through as well - once we lowered the gain on the DA and balanced the non-sync it was fine.

Your tech is correct that the gain on the DA226 should be turned down - that was our exact solution 20 years ago.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-21-2012 06:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't turn it down "all the way."

btw: isn't this HIS job?? Louis

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2012 07:39 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too many Tweakers can lead to Twadgedy!
Courtesy of Elmer F

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-22-2012 01:01 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hunting wabbits...

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-22-2012 01:34 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally, this thread has real value.

Steven Stroud
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2012 04:04 AM      Profile for Steven Stroud   Email Steven Stroud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Manny.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-22-2012 09:33 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I was being sarcastic.)

So...? Did you try adjusting your DA output trims (down) and your Non-Sync volume controls (up)? How'd it go?

As I recall the DA-226 has trims on its input - mine were about 3/4 of max.

Next - each output has individual trims for left/right. Turn them down to 1/2 max or perhaps slightly lower.

The trick is keeping the left/right output levels balanced so the music doesn't end up lopsided. To help with this, I burned a disc with a steady 1kHz tone and made it repeat in the CD player so I could take my time and measure all of the outputs (with an AC volt meter) and tweak them to make sure they were all equal.

Finally, play your normal music CD and go to each cinema and use the Non-Sync trimpot in the processor to adjust the playback level for each cinema. (1) Make sure your main cinema volume controls are in their usual position before you adjust the Non-Sync volume. (2) It will be easier if 2 people with walkie-talkies tackled this part - one in the auditorium evaluating the music level, and one in the booth making the adjustments.

Test your work - switch to a film format (like Stereo or SR) with no film playing - do you still hear the music?

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2012 01:39 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is pseudo related being a nonsync question so please forgive me for butting in.

Do you guys set your ns volume to a specific level in db?

I personally like to have everything that is required to be adjusted for each house to be identical. Most techs I've noticed whether admitting so or not don't seem to have much thought toward nonsync as long as its playing and not overly loud or overly quiet. Some major chain techs also seem to think it should be as loud as the feature too apparently.
But I digress.

Seems to me Id burn something like pink noise and set it just like the film sound but at a lower volume. Is this excessive?

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-22-2012 02:02 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do that when I worked in multiplexes. I'd get the DA set up and then play some music and let the manager (or owner) tell me what level they liked.

Next, I'd switch to a CD with a pink noise track to quantify that level, and use that SPL value as my guide for setting level on the remaining screens (using pink noise).

However, if you have significant variation in house sizes, you'll find it necessary to increase SPL in the larger houses and decrease SPL in the smaller ones. But I think it's good to have a known reference point.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2012 11:50 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet.
Thanks, Manny!

Steven Stroud
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2012 02:20 AM      Profile for Steven Stroud   Email Steven Stroud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries, Manny. I have a sense of humor.

The problem was most evident on the house with the Mod IIB processor while it was in surround. It was significantly less obtrusive when switched to stereo. The Mod IIIB houses weren't as noticeable, but it's still too obtrusive for my personal tastes.

We did as our tech instructed and lowered the preamp trimpots, and it's certainly helped, but I can still hear the disturbance.

The entire pre-show setup is run by a third party who send their own techs out on regular visits. They insist that the audio levels on the pre-shows be set to absurd levels... which we always end up decreasing after the old people complain about it being too loud. It occurs to me that we are about due for another visit, so I'll bring this whole ordeal up with them. Hopefully they will be able to get this ironed out once and for all... or at least until our landlord agrees to convert us to digital.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: