Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Holiday 8mm m-1000

Author Topic: Holiday 8mm m-1000
Tanner Engbretson
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2012 10:02 PM      Profile for Tanner Engbretson   Email Tanner Engbretson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there. I apologize if this is not where I should post this, but I knew this might be my best chance of finding a solution.

I am having a problem with a newly acquired Holiday m-1000. The pawl advances the film in the gate just fine, but does not retreat enough to not grab the film on the upstroke. I cannot seem to find a clear way of adjusting it and I really am wary of trying to bend anything.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-18-2012 12:25 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bet the shuttle that operates that pawl action is worn causing it not to retract completely.

Might have to dissect the unit to see how good the action is.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-18-2012 12:39 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cross your fingers and hope that it's just a bit of dirt.

Carefully disassemble and inspect while cleaning. If it's just dirt, you'll be back in action. If it's a part out of alignment, you can readjust. If it's a bad part like Monte suggests, you will have to get a replacement part.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-18-2012 03:28 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, it's a Mansfield Holiday 8mm projector made during the late 50's.

Mansfield made tonnage of these 'five and dime' store, 8mm projectors.

These units used a very simple (and cheap) shuttle and pawl mechanism.

True, prob needs to be disassembled, cleaned in solvent and the action re-greased to see if it cures the pawl issue.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-18-2012 08:46 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I mention it that way is because I inherited about 100 vintage cameras. They have been sitting unused for decades and many of them are dirty to boot.

There is a vintage 1955 Roleflex Automat 2.8B where the film detection cam was sluggish. I ran a couple-few rolls of film through it and now it works as good as new.

I bought a Pentax ME-Super at a garage sale for $20. The guy claimed that the film advance mechanism didn't work. In reality, there was dust in the cam-and-pawl mechanism that is supposed to engage and stop the advance lever at the beginning of the new frame. Some canned air and a little judicious application of some Zippo lighter fluid in the right location solved that problem.

Both of these cameras are now in regular use. The Rolleiflex is my primary camera and the Pentax is the backup when I need a quick shot.

The point here is that, when you have vintage equipment, you've got to be prepared to put in a little effort to get them to work but, once you do, they'll just keep on ticking.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: