Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question about cleaning film path

Author Topic: Question about cleaning film path
Gabriel Rhodes
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2012 12:21 PM      Profile for Gabriel Rhodes   Email Gabriel Rhodes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I know this is an amateur's question, but....I'm an amateur, so there you go.
Recently, while screening a film, the rubber rollers on my Elmo CL-16 disintegrated. I found a place that replaced the rubber on the rollers and they are like new. Before I put them back in the projector, I need to do a serious cleaning on this projector. There is rubber gunk spread throughout the film path. So, my two questions:
1. What's the best solvent and applicator to use to clean the film path on a 16mm projector?
2. How the heck do I clean my print of Free To Be You and Me? It has gunky rubber all over it! Is there a place I can ship the print to be cleaned?
Many thanks in advance.
Gabe

|  IP: Logged

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2012 05:06 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use painter's grade Naptha for both the cleaning of your gate and cleaning the gunk off of your print (it should be safe on both).

Try not to use it on plastic parts in the projector. In that case, opt for 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Always test solvents on a small portion of whatever you're cleaning first before you go at it to make sure you don't pick anything unwanted up.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-30-2012 06:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film-Guard!

Does wonders on any cleaning of the film path, parts and miscellanous equipment associated.

If you're going to store 16mm prints, and even 8mm prints, definitely look into using Film-Guard to protect your prints (since they're all acetate based) during storage..and it helps to protect prints affected by VS also - won't reverse the VS process, but will help to protect.

Plus, it walks over WD-40, and other spray lubricants for lube, cleaning, polishing, etc..

..and it's safe as well to use.

Gabriel Rhodes
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2012 10:27 AM      Profile for Gabriel Rhodes   Email Gabriel Rhodes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I ended up using Goof Off to clean the film path which seems to have worked great. I'll pick up some Naptha for the print.
Thanks!
Gabe

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2012 12:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Guard is obviously great for cleaning and also temporarily eliminates base scratches on the screen, as is Filmrenew (from Urbanski Film--far more volatile than Film Guard and thus faster drying, as well as a bit more chemical smelling). I'll take the word that Naptha is ok on prints, but I wouldn't personally use it on film. In 16mm projectors both Elmo and Eiki have their achilles heels. In Elmos the rollers turn to goo as you discovered, and on Eikis the rubber "tire" on the focus knob disintegrates, as do the belts on some of the earlier machines. Good luck.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2012 12:42 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Support/People_And_Planet/Product_Use/solvent.htm

I would use Film Guard to take off any light surface dirt (and also to plasticize and protect the film), but heavy duty gunk like melted rubber isn't going to come off with FG, and will need a solvent for a complete clean.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: