Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » intermittent sound dropout (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: intermittent sound dropout
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-21-2012 12:33 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to solve this problem for over a year. Every time I think it is fixed, it starts again a month or so later.

The center channel drops the highs, giving voices the sound of coming through a movie telephone filter.

Things we done that have "fixed" it in the past:
Replaced LED's in reader
Replaced Kelmar power supply for both machines.
Replaced the Ashely X1 crossovers on all the amps.
Last fall I had two service calls (one to track down the bad crossovers and one to reset the whole A/B chain).
In addition we've pulled out and reseated the cards in the Dolby 650 (and cleaned it out). We checked the connections in all of the amps.
The LCD display on the 650 shows no dropout of the center channel, but you can hear it on the monitor, which should eliminate a bad speaker (though we checked those, too).
Sound was good in November, we closed in December, and the sound was fine for the first week in January. I heard quick bits of it for the first show last week and then was out of town, so couldn't follow up. Last night, new show and it was horrible (thankfully, a subtitled film).
The dropout doesn't usually last more than 30 secs. Sometimes it just happens once a film. Last night it was on and off all through the film.
Does it in Digital,SR and Mono.

What's left? Dolby motherboard?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 12:00 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definatly look at the crossover again. If you still have the older XR-1 crossovers, not the newer ones with no controls, I am certain this is it. You could operate the very small switches on the crossover and then leave them set where they started. Same with the pushbuttons.

It is a sad fact that our last project just before closing was to redesign the Ashly crossover due to unreliability in the theatres. Drops right in and is preset for your model JBL speaker. We made 500 of these and then closed.

It is possible that an amp channel is bad, but not likely, since they rarely cure themselves.

Currently on vacation in Vienna, back Tuesday. Louis

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2012 12:33 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dirty gain pot on the offending channel?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 05:51 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

If I am not mistaken you have not tried replacing the amplifier, yet. If you haven't got a spare one why not swapping, say, the centre one with the left one, to see if the issue follows the amp or the channel?
You may also want to find a way to monitor the amp output, does your monitor accept amp return lines?
Louis, could it be an overheating issue?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2012 10:01 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like I've got almost the same intermittant problem,
only on my system the LOWS of the center channel drop out,
making it sound like a "movie telephone filter".

The set up sounds similar to yours. Ashly amps & CP-650.
It's very occasional and unpredictable, which makes it
tricky to troubleshoot.

The input pots & switches on the Ashlys notoriously unreliable.
"Exercise" them a bit & see if the problem goes away.

I haven't tried swapping my amps yet either, but I probably will
next time the sound drops out. Last time it happened was around
Thanksgiving week. It dropped out just as I was leaving the
booth, but by the time I got back inside, it had 'fixed' itself.
It's been behaving well since then but I still don't trust it.

Also, on my system, if the problem is going to happen, it almost
always only dropped out during the trailers or the first reel of
the feature. I never had it go out during the middle of the film.
That first lead me to beleive it's perhaps a temperature related
issue, but sometimes I come in early to do work and the amps
are on for several hours before the first show, which you'd
think would give them time to 'warm up' & stablize by showtime.

So no matter what, it seems to be happening randomly.

Very vexing! Sometimes I wish it would just catostrophically
fail. It would be much easier to troubleshoot!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-22-2012 10:17 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You say that this is audible on the booth monitor. Is that with the monitor set to the "amp" position or the "processor" position? Or both?

You are not using the Dolby crossover card, correct?

Does the problem occur with the processor in bypass mode?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 10:59 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis:
What's the best way to contact you when you get back?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 11:09 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cell phone works; fax does still for a little while.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 11:10 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cell phone works; fax does still for a little while.Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-22-2012 11:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Ron on this one. Seen it happen a lot once Ashley amplifiers get some age to them. I would recommend you turn off all amplifiers except center and with something fairly constant audio playing (maybe a loop of a trailer) jiggle the gain pots on the back of the amplifier and see if you can make it drop. If so, that's your problem.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 03:48 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spent about a half an hour playing with the levels. Couldn't force it to go out, so maybe dirty pot is the immediate problem.

And, as with Jim, it was the low freq going out, not the high (so much for my musical skills). Lowering the low freq perfectly replicated the problem.

I'll just have to keep an ear out for it happening again.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2012 03:58 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically I too had a center channel dropping out highs rather than lows intermittently a while back.
Thought it was the xover but it turned out to be the horn driver.

Nevertheless I'm curious as mentioned above: when it's dropped out do you hear full signal from the monitor listening to the amps or processor or both?

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2012 10:35 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like assumptions are being made before this important question is first answered.

quote: Scott Norwood
You say that this is audible on the booth monitor. Is that with the monitor set to the "amp" position or the "processor" position? Or both?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 11:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..swap the diaphrams the HF horn drivers between L and C...windings on those diaphrams can open up when they want to.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-23-2012 11:43 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're assuming that the monitor has a "processor" function, and that it's actually wired up. But with amplifier crossovers (my least favorite kind) the processor monitor won't tell you much in this case. I haven't come across a processor without crossovers that managed to filter all the highs or lows out of a full range signal, although it is possible.
This is most likely the Ashley crossover module has failed, they do. The volume control pot is also known for failure and noise (cheap unsealed potentiometers that are never moved all eventually become unreliable, and high quality sealed pots are expensive).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: