Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » UK Cinemas- "Davidoff Cool Water" advert issues (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: UK Cinemas- "Davidoff Cool Water" advert issues
Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2012 08:51 AM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

Has anyone had issues with the recent Davidoff Coolwater advert (either with Pearl and Dean or DCM)?

The issue we have had is that it appears that the ad's sound levels have been mixed way too high and, thus, has damaged some of our sound equipment.

Has anyone else found this and has it caused any issues to your equipment?

|  IP: Logged

Philip Jones
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2012 10:01 AM      Profile for Philip Jones   Email Philip Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's fine here. digital though.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-21-2012 11:55 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve R Pike
.....The issue we have had is that it appears that the ad's sound levels have been mixed way too high and, thus, has damaged some of our sound equipment.....

Steve, welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot here. [Smile]

Now some questions to try to help you out a bit...

What damage to the equipment did you experience? Blown amplifiers, blown woofers, blown high frequency drivers, etc.

I can tell you from over 30 years of tech experience that a properly designed sound system can safely reach "ear-splitting" levels without damage.

There is always of course random failures, and drivers that rot out or were pushed really hard in the past and then one peak spike send them bye-bye.

Try to give us more details, including all brands and models of amps and speakers, cinema processor and so forth..the more info, the better odds we can help you better. [Smile]

Adam Ladds
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2012 03:21 AM      Profile for Adam Ladds   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Ladds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had this on 35mm from Pearl & Dean and it didn't cause us any issues.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-17-2012 11:54 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the track SR or digital? If it was analogue (or the print has both on it, but the digital won't play and it drops out to SR), then it could be a printing and/or processing fault on that one print, or on just one reel of prints (adverts are usually printed from a continuous loop cabinet holding the interneg, feeding a panel printer)?

In other words, it could just be that you have a bad print of that particular ad.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-18-2012 03:33 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - When I was growing up in The Bahamas in the 70's and 80's the theatre there would show ads from Pearl & Dean - Had no idea they were all the way over in the UK.

Adam Ladds
Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2012 07:25 AM      Profile for Adam Ladds   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Ladds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was growing up we had Pearl & Dean everywhere in the UK. Nowadays it's all DCM, but we're still with Pearl & Dean [Smile]

Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2012 07:41 AM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All

Thanks for your responses - why it's taken me this long to login and respond, I don't know!

My Technical Manager found a part of the speaker inside literally blown to bits (!!!) it could have been wear and tear however - but it was an expensive fix.

Nether the less, we have now converted to Digital P&D ads!! Which is an end of an era (but a godsend in another ... editing those green/black reels each week... nightmare!)

I believe we sent the ad back to P&D to investigate - however I've not heard much since [Frown]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2012 07:16 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope the ad revenue was enough to pay for the blown speaker.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-06-2012 08:46 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pearl and Dean were here too.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2012 04:46 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another example of Mother Britain looking after the colonies ! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-08-2012 05:52 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As tony said, a properly designed sound system should be able to withstand a 0dB recording with some headroom. Even though the adv could be in fact very high, it won't be higher than 0dBFS - that's digital fact - and your system should be able to cope with it at 7.0 fader setting. If your system fails under such levels, it's your system's fault unfortunately. Also, I hope you have a way to show your commercials at a lower volume, say 4.5/5.

A blown cone/diaphragm should not be a very expensive damage, I would say a few hundreds including labour but - as Tony pointed out - that should not happen. If it happens, it's worth investigating.

Chuck McGregor
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2012 11:17 AM      Profile for Chuck McGregor   Email Chuck McGregor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
part of the speaker inside literally blown to bits (!!!)
It wasn't said what those "bits" were. That would tell a lot about, if not pinpoint, the problem. The usual culprits for "bits" are either a fractured compression driver diaphragm or a cone driver surround failure (read old, rotting foam surround).

quote: Marco Giustini
A properly designed sound system should be able to withstand a 0dB recording with some headroom.
"Should" is the operative word [evil]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-08-2012 11:38 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was only one time when I saw a theater sound system actually blow speakers that weren't due to an amplifier malfunction.

It was at the Cinemark theater at Military Circle in Norfolk, VA.
At that time their two big auditoriums had these three-way electronic crossovers from JBL. You enter the model of the speaker into the front panel and the device sends the correct signal to each speaker. All very spiffy.

However, some of the kids got to tinkering with the things and ended up routing all the signals to the wrong speakers. If that's not bad enough, they decided to have a midnight movie party and they played "The Fast and the Furious" with the volume turned up to "11."

Well, the speakers didn't make it through the first race scene. [Roll Eyes]

Guess who had to hike his fat ass up a ladder and onto a three foot wide platform, 25 feet in the air, behind the screen to change all six of those blown drivers? Moi! That's who!

If I ever get my hands on the little cocksuckers that did that, their asses are grass!

Now, like others have said, speakers with old cones and surrounds can sometimes shred but, technically, that's not a "blown" speaker.

Shredded cones are repairable, by the way...

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-08-2012 01:16 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chuck McGregor
"Should" is the operative word
sadly.

But from Pearl and Dean point of view, it's not their problem.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: