Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Someone at the designer needs to be told DTS and DATASAT are one and the same...

Author Topic: Someone at the designer needs to be told DTS and DATASAT are one and the same...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-17-2012 09:27 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-17-2012 09:41 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But who's gonna tell the public?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-17-2012 09:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still see "DTS" logos on the end credits of recent films while the discs are now "Datasat Digital".

I laugh at this, but agree: "who's gonna tell the public?"

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-17-2012 10:30 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's that. And they keep goofing up the new Dolby Digital logo by omitting the rule line separating the "Dolby" and "Digital" lines of copy.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-17-2012 11:01 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I betcha' it's because the public doesn't know what "Datasat" is. They've all been taught that DIGITAL SOUND = DTS. Now, with the name change, the public doesn't recognize the product anymore so they have to put up both logos to keep the public recognition of the name.

It's a lot like the "John Cougar" >> "John Cougar-Mellencamp" >> "John Mellencamp" thing.

It just goes to show you how bad marketing can fuck up a good product. [Roll Eyes]

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2012 11:50 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,

Thanks for flagging this, I'm contacting Roadshow now.

We have confirmed with all of our licensees re: the logo change, but from time to time a design studio or graphics shop is flying solo on a contract basis and hasn't seen the memo, so to speak. I've even seen instances where they clearly just pulled a logo off the internet rather than confirm with their client on correct logo usage...

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2012 04:28 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
It's a lot like the "John Cougar" >> "John Cougar-Mellencamp" >> "John Mellencamp" thing.
that always confused me ... [Big Grin]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2012 04:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always used to get annoyed when Lucasfilm posters had the THX in Select Theaters logo on it. Now tell me what kind of sense THAT makes?

I miss DTS. [Frown]

AJG

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-18-2012 05:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realy don't see the problem the technology is DTS the distribution of the disks is DataSat

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2012 07:47 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just that DTS sold all the IP (patents for the technology, etc.) to Datasat, so we're doing our best to get the Datasat logo on all the feature films using the technology.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2012 02:56 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder how long until there is no point in the logos - when all projection is LPCM digital.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: