Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Best way to make a homemade control box

Author Topic: Best way to make a homemade control box
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2012 07:20 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey All,

Ok I have a Century in my garage that projects out through some french doors to the yard where the screen is. I want to make some type of control box that I can use when sitting in my lawn chair. I have a dolby remote for the Cp-55, and the projector has a Kelmar remote turret and gate/plate remote add on, Kelmar changover. I want to be able turn the thing on, switch lens, plates, dowser and volume all from one box. Focusing would be cool to but that might be asking a lot. Do I need to get an automation box or just some on/off switches mounted in a wood box?

Anyone done this?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-14-2012 05:32 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, there are industrial systems out there that can control just about anything you want right up to spiffy touch screen panels. AMX, Unison, etc., but they are very VERY expensive for the most of us average guys looking to setup their backyard theatres.

But, luck is with you because there is an off-the-shelf modular system designed around Power Line Carrier technology. X10, Inc., makes control modules that send signals over the electrical house wiring. They also can interface RF wireless remote control units that talk to the X10 PLC modules. For your application, they have a Universal module that simply is a NO/NC relay which is controlled by the carrier signal. This unit pretty much can control anything in your system that needs a contact closure.

I have benn using X10 modules in my place since I first discovered them in the early 80s. Their cost is low enough that I couldn't figure out why anyone would put manual light switches or recepticals when for nearly the same money they can have remote control of every light and equipment from every room.

X10 has expanded now with dozens of different modules for almost any application you can think off, even a computer interface which can do complicated time-based actions and "scene changes." With the modules and control units running from as low as $7 to $25, your wallet won't be crashed. The only thing they can't do -- AFAIK -- is control volume. For that I went with FSR, Inc modules -- they make a VCA that when paired with their Ramp Generator, and then coupled with the X10 contact closure module, will work very nicely as a volumn control. The VCAs are on a stereo form so you will need three of them for a 5.1 system.

Once you figure out exactly what things need to be controlled and then assign either a contact closure module to it or a direct power ON/OFF module (X10 calls them Appliance Modules), then it is just a matter of assigning one of the 16 available X10 control addresses to each. These would then be controlled with an RF remote control from your Director's chair! All you need now is a popcorn popper (also controlled by an X10 module) and you are all set --Start the show!

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with X10, Inc. or FSR, Inc.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-14-2012 06:07 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..or pick up an Eprad Ultimation for peanuts. [Razz]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-14-2012 06:23 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Ian said. ^^

Honestly, with all the digital conversions happening automations are dirt cheap (or free) and easy to find.

Another thing to consider: safety. Unless you are a very experienced technician/electrical/electronic wiz, you are dealing with voltages and current levels that are dangerous. (Motor, lamphouse and rectifier switching). The risk of fire or shock or damage to equipment is high. And no offense intended to you Paul, but if you have to ask how to do it you are not experienced enough to pull it off safely.

And anyone trying to give advice here may accidentally give you bad info which can create problems.

Your best bet is to solicit the help of one of our tech-minded folks who can go to your place and see fist hand what you have and need, and can help you get it done. (Make sure to offer ample beverages and food as an incentive.) [beer] [Big Grin]

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2012 06:37 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, a Film-tech member has offered me a Eprad 2000 automation which should do the trick.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-15-2012 01:22 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear it Paul, let us know how things turn out. [Smile]

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2012 06:30 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks I'll take some pictures in the spring... right now its a little cold to be screening out side, -30 today.

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ice Station Zebra?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: