Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Analog level with RSTR-2000

Author Topic: Analog level with RSTR-2000
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2012 08:01 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to run through it again tonight, but using the appropriate test loops, RTA, scope, etc., to calibrate the analog pickup assembly, I am still unable to get my Dolby level anywhere near where it should be.

Someone who glanced at it briefly once, thought it might be a bad LED.

From this, I have two questions:

Can the LED itself be replaced in the emitter? Or do I need to buy the LED module as a whole?

In the interim, given that my analog levels are about half what they should be, what should I do about my DTS and non-sync levels?

My thought is to reduce these to the analog level, such that switching between them isn't literally a "mind-blowing experience".

Keep in mind this is running through a pretty rough USL JS unit, so no automagical volume adjustments.

Opinions?

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2012 08:52 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the RSTR-2000 led module is a higher led power position.Have you tried that? It will increase the level,I think it is labeled clearly under the modules cover.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-06-2012 09:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You snip the two wire loops on the small momboard to increase 6db in gain ...

BUT, what does the LED array look like? If you have some burnt out LED segments (take a piece of black film and look through the film to look at the array without being blinded. Plus, this help you see the individual segments), none of your tests will come out real good until you replace the LED array.

They're easy to change out ... arrays cost between 65 to 80 bucks depending on dealer..

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2012 11:34 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

I just sent you a PM.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2012 07:32 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, snipping the jumpers has me set for now. Thanks for the tip.

-David

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-07-2012 07:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it's time to replace the LED array, one needs to "close the circuit" on these two jumpers - by bending the cut jumpers so they can touch, then spot them closed with a touch of solder - to return the setup back to new.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-08-2012 02:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had to reconnect the jumpers when installing a new LED. Louis

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2012 03:04 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To cut the jumpers,do you have to get to the backside of the board? I see the 4 solder points and a white line between them but no actual wire to snip.
When led is replaced,is an entire A chain required?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-02-2012 03:22 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wiggle the LED for max and set levels, so No it is not necessary. Good practice is to do so since you are there with tools and to check only takes 10 minutes more. Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-02-2012 07:00 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The jumpers are on the top side of the board close to the cover. Sounds like someone already cut the jumpers. The cut jumpers increase the audio gain not the LED current so the noise level goes up by 6 dB.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2012 07:03 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I think so because I don't see anything to cut.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: