Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong leaves the "analog" film business, focuses on Digital.

Author Topic: Strong leaves the "analog" film business, focuses on Digital.
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-05-2012 12:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As has been posted elsewhere but it deserves a formal space in the "Film" forum, the last of the American 35mm projector manufacturers ceases production of film based equipment. The change is more extensive than that but I will leave it up to the reader to interpret from Strong's press release:

Strong Press Release

quote:
OMAHA, Nebraska (January 4, 2012) Ballantyne Strong, Inc. (NYSE Amex: BTN), a provider of digital cinema products and services, announced today a corporate-wide refocus on its worldwide digital equipment distribution business, leading services platform and state-of-the-art cinema screen manufacturing business. This strategic initiative best repositions Ballantyne for future growth opportunities within the global cinema industry. The Company has decided to sell its Omaha, NE-based analog projector facility and manufacturing equipment and relocate its corporate headquarters to a new, smaller location in Omaha, which will also house its cutting-edge Network Operations Center (NOC).

“Following a detailed strategic review by our Board and senior management we have determined that the best course of action for long-term success is a focus on our equipment distribution, cinema service and screen businesses while exiting the analog projector manufacturing business,” stated Ballantyne Strong CEO Gary L. Cavey. “We launched our digital projector distribution operations with NEC in the Americas in 2005, expanded it to Asia including China in 2008 and added the Barco digital projector lines for the Americas this past October. Ballantyne’s Strong/STS maintenance and NOC service businesses are growing with significant potential for future expansion. Our Strong/MDI subsidiary is one of the leading worldwide cinema screen manufacturers with a state-of-the-art facility in Quebec, which produces silver, large format and a wide array of other specialty screens for a global customer base. Additionally, we also are excited about our Solutions line of LED lighting, which we believe has great growth potential.

“Today’s moves leverage Ballantyne’s deep exhibition industry relationships and a worldwide leadership reputation built over eight decades. The digital cinema movement has gained momentum over the past few years, transforming the exhibition industry and speeding up the pace of technological change. In anticipation we have been successfully transforming our Company into a leader in digital cinema infrastructure.

“The Company has grown organically and through recent key strategic acquisitions that added Ballantyne’s service and screen manufacturing businesses and we will continue to seek additional ways to expand both organically and inorganically. Importantly, these initiatives also free-up assets for redeployment in Asian and Latin American markets where we continue to see significant potential,” noted Mr. Cavey.

Ballantyne expects the net financial impact of the sale of its building and equipment to result in a gain, however, it also expects to record a pre-tax severance charge of approximately $900,000 in Q4 2011.

About Ballantyne Strong, Inc. (www.strong-world.com)
Ballantyne Strong is a provider of digital cinema projection equipment and services as well as cinema screens, motion picture projectors and specialty lighting equipment and services. The Company supplies major and independent theater chains, top arenas, theme parks and architectural sites around the world.

Except for the historical information in this press release, it includes forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to, quarterly fluctuations in results; customer demand for the Company’s products; the development of new technology for alternate means of motion picture presentation; domestic and international economic conditions; the management of growth; and other risks detailed from time to time in the Company’s Securities and Exchange Commission filings. Actual results may differ materially from management’s expectations.

Kevin Herrmann
Vice President
Ballantyne Strong, Inc.

Robert Rinderman, David Collins
Jaffoni & Collins Incorporated
212.835.8500 or BTN@jcir.com

Jaffoni & Collins Incorporated

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-05-2012 01:06 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news.

Has anyone heard what the parts situation will be for Strong equipment in the future? For those who plan to continue screening film for many years into the future, are there any parts that should be hoarded now?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2012 02:00 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not surprising. When John Wilmers(then CEO) hired me, he said I would be in charge of the Megasystems line and then focus on digital. Little Ricky Sanjuro had different plans for me though and I spent the majority of my time in the shop or field fixing Apogees.

As far as parts, it sounds like there will be a shitload of projectors out there to part out. Strong would throw away parts to get them out of inventory. (tax purposes)

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-05-2012 02:41 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a couple or three years who's going to be buying those parts anyway. That whole story seems like a last grab at postponing the inevitable, they've become resellers not manufacturers.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2012 02:57 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was given a tour of the Omaha plant in '06 and was impressed with the process of manufacturing film equipment. I was told that, at that time, they had orders for 1,100 film projectors. I saw what I assume was a Barco digital machine being tested. I would think it smart business if they held on to parts for awhile or made a deal with LaVezzi to take them. While film will not be the major delivery system before long it will be around for a long time if only in specialty houses. Film "purists" will want to see a movie (classics by then) on film.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2012 06:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing surprising. As they told me on the phone yesterday... you can't support the manufacturing arm of a company this large solely by making projector pedestals...

Mark

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-05-2012 10:31 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was at the Omaha plant in September 2010, it was very obvious that 35mm equipment was no longer a major part of their business plan. While the machine shop was still operational, there was very little activity. And walking through the facility you could only see a small number of warehoused 35mm equipment. On the other hand, they had digital equipment stacked everywhere they could put it. Most of what I saw had to do with the Regal integrations, but it was clear that digital was their main focus.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2012 09:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Super Trooper Spotlights and other stage lighting gear will still be produced but by another entity and off site for Strong to distribute.

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2012 10:17 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully Dale McMillin is a part of that venture. It sucks to think what happens to all the "factory" employees who have never seen a booth or operating projector. Glad I got out when I did.

Rick

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-15-2012 12:10 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they still make the Flavor-Crisp pressure fryers?

ETA: Did a little Googling about and learned that Ballantyne ceased manufacturing restaurant hardware in 2005 but continues to support units in the field. They also distribute the Flavor-Crisp coating mixes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: