Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » crimped vs. soldered DB25 connectors

Author Topic: crimped vs. soldered DB25 connectors
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-01-2012 10:12 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has come up before in other threads. I have always used generic solder-type DB25s (and DB9s), but the crimp-type connectors are supposedly better. Why is this? Intuitively, I would think that solder would hold better than crimp, but I am apparently wrong on this point? What type (brand/model) of connectors and crimpers are preferred?

Also, why is it so hard to find DB25 hoods that accept large-diameter cables or several small-diameter cables?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-01-2012 11:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crimps are normally superior to solder, not necessarily with Dsubs but in the theory department, they are. A crimp creates a molecular bond with the conductor.

We use crimp connectors for Dsubs, almost exclusively. They have proven to be quite reliable. Speed wise, crimps are much faster and don't require the good work surface that solder does.

We use AMP brand products for our DSubs...crimps, shells, hoods (diecast for superior electrostatic shielding. Really large openings for DB25s can indeed be hard to find. Often, when getting into those sizes one is also getting into crimping on ferrules too

-Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-01-2012 11:26 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am right there with Steve. And, if you are wrong on your connections, you can just unplug the pin and move it.

Anyone want to buy several hundred pounds of solder style d-subs left over from 1200 Dolby installs? Louis

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2012 07:31 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use solder on D connectors. I find crimp on D connectors to be a pain. Now I do use crimp on BNC connectors.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-04-2012 09:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Bruce. Especially if you use high quality solder. I find the crimp ons to be a pain in the ass. Pin extractors crimp tool and bottles of pins, holy crap, what a good way to slow down the day. I have all the stuff to do them sitting in the shop somewhere. I can solder a 25 pin DB in very short time and have it come out very neat.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-05-2012 02:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guarantee I can crimp a DB connector faster than you can solder. If we are making the connector in the back of a rack, I'll be many times faster too. As will any of our employees crimping on the connector. The quality of the finished product will be as good or better too.

-Steve

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-05-2012 08:27 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that a well-made solder joint was electrically superior to a crimp. (Using traditional Sn/Pb solder or Ag solder, NOT that Sn/Bi crap.)

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-05-2012 09:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A well made solder connection is equivalent to a well made crimp but not superior.

The key to both styles is the "well made" part. I'm not dissing solder at all, mind you. We still will solder them (Dsubs) but, by far, crimps have overtaken solder for us in DSubs...they have proven to be faster, easier to work with in the field and over all superior to solder.

-Steve

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-05-2012 09:34 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Solder in the shop and short runs. Crimp in the field and large runs (or send to a wire harness vendor to build up). Most service problems point to bad solder work.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2012 09:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is one reason wire wrap has become so popular (not with me though). It is nearly the equivelent of a good crimp in terms of the connection itself. I'm not disputing the quality of a criped connection... just that it's slower for me to do them. One thing I really hate is when technicians put crimps under screw terminals that have the square crimping blocks built onto them... it's like adding another connection... or another failure point. Tin your wire and secure it down for christ sake!!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-05-2012 03:09 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark many compression terminal blocks are best without tinning leads in fact many hubble connectors and T&B terminals have a ul warning regarding lead tinning

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2012 06:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, of course you wouldn't tin a hubble or equivelent AC connector. If you were going to tin this size wire you'd need a solder pot anyway. What I'm referring to are the connectors typically used on processors. Some wire is just too small to not tin it.

Mark

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2012 08:14 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate haveing to do crimp ons when I have to wire all 25 pins in a 25 pin connector, what a royal pain!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: