Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor 3-D Lens F.S. On Ebay (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Technicolor 3-D Lens F.S. On Ebay
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2011 05:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this post does not normally go here but this is actually posted in hope that some one from Technicolor reads this site and will see it. So please leave it up if you would. These lenses are not offered for sale so I'm not sure what the seller is up to here. Perhaps the seller considers it abandoned but I doubt that Technicolor would consider it as so. I do not know if any Panavision systems actually made it into the field or not... And the truth is that no one in their right mind is going to pay $7500.00 on a "buy it now" for the lens.

Technicolor 3-D Lens For Sale

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-27-2011 06:23 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
And the truth is that no one in their right mind is going to pay $7500.00 on a "buy it now" for the lens.
When am I ever "in my right mind" though?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-27-2011 06:23 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, will these lenses work with 80s type over/under 3D prints?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-27-2011 07:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes they will

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2011 07:31 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that the seller failed to mention the focal length.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-27-2011 07:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lister definitely is promoting it as a Panavision 3D system. When I was visiting the Panavision booth...their lens has the Technicolor 3D markings...so the sale may very well be legit.

-Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2011 09:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, but Panavision is even less likely to ever sell anything. Also, in Technicolor class we were told the Technicolor lenses have differnet C/L to C/L frame spacing than the 80's stuff does...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-28-2011 05:44 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, with the adjustable "convergence" it can be made to work with other over/under formats.

As for Panavision...it has the advantage of be able to work in a mixed venue that may not have a silver screen (think rep house that wants to run an '80s 3D athon). Panavision, unlike Technicolor, is still working on the DCinema 3D. Barco just added a Panavision option to their projector's 3D offerings.

-Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-28-2011 10:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed but it was flatly stated in training class that these lenses will not work with old Stereovision prints. It all may depend on how much movement there is available and that amount is probably going to vary with the focal length of the lens.

I welcome the Panavision D-Cinema system with open arms. It is considerably brighter ~18% or so! That 18% can make a huge difference on larger screens or help keep lamp costs down.

Mark

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2011 01:08 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This auction was removed from Ebay as "no longer available".....

Joel Landy
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2012 09:13 AM      Profile for Joel Landy   Author's Homepage   Email Joel Landy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PANAVISION 3D I am trying to run a recent 35mm 3d film green hornet and want to use a 80's panavision 3d over under setup Is anyone an expert on this I have a bunch of AMC cardboard 3D glasses a silver screen Have it mounted did not run test loop yet does not appear to look different with glasses Anyone ever used this system what are the differences to todays system circular polarization? that would be between glasses and adapter hoping to learn from someone with experience with these adapters
Thanks
Joel

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2012 09:46 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume you're talking about a 3D adapter box like
the one in the picture below.

I'm not an 'expert' in this but here are a few thoughts:

> The frameline spacing is slightly different between
the old 80's under/over systems and the new stuff.
The mirrors in the box adjustable, but depending on
your throw & the focal length of your lens, you may
or may not be able to get an acceptable image.

> Do you have the filters that came with the box?
(They're in the cardboard frame on the right in
the picture below) I know someone who was trying
to use one of these 3D boxes & didn't realize he
also needed a set of filters to get it to work.

> I don't beleive circularly polarized glasses would
work well, if at all - - with the standared "linear"
polarizing filters that were supplied with these old
lens boxes. When I was experementing with this stuff
a couple of years ago, I was able to buy a shitload
of "standard" cardboard 3D glasses real cheap on e-bay.
Mabye you can still find some there if you need some.

-

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-13-2012 12:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have linear polarizers on the adapter then the glass must be linear as well
You will need to get a tech 35 alignment loop and then align the box

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2012 08:47 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one of those Paramount adapter sets from Surplus Shed a few years ago for around $50. It was complete with line up loops and looked as though it had never been used.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-14-2012 12:13 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Paramount 3D adapter will work with circular OR linear, you just need to have the viewer's glasses and the filter on the lens the same type -- circular with circular, linear with linear.

One thing I discovered was that the lenses we got with the unit were ineffective; they seemed to have losts their power to polarize the light -- lots of ghosting. We replaced them with high quality glass polarizers, I think we got them from Edumnd Scientific, and the results were excellent. We ran ANDY WARHOL'S FRANKENSTEIN (silliest freakin 3D movie ever) using linear (I think) polarization.

Story behind that freak show of a movie is that at some point in the shooting in Italy, the cinematographer and others on the crew walked off because the money dried up and they were not being paid. Paul Morrissey hired local italian crew and a cinematographer who had absolutely no experience with 3D and so there are many shots that were made with the Italian crew where all of a sudden you feel like your both eyes just slammed against each other as they try to converge at impossibly severe convergence points. I heard one person say, "Damn, I am going blind" when there was a shot change from a very mild convergence to one of those really bad 3D shots.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: