Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Avengers

Author Topic: Avengers
Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2011 09:20 AM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just been sent the Trl B 35mm of Avengers and i see its being distributed by Walt Disney. I thought it was a Paramount Film or have they joined up together for this one. It might be a totally different film that im not aware of, as all of the previous references say "The Avengers" not just Avengers.

Merry Christmas everyone
Burleigh

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2011 11:32 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marvel used to have a distribution deal with Paramount, but that has now been wrapped up with Disney's acquisition of Marvel. Future Marvel titles will be distributed by Disney.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-22-2011 10:28 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teaser Red Flag.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-22-2011 03:21 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney announced today that "Avengers" will be released in 3D. They had planned only a 2D release.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2011 09:57 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except that the first teaser for The Avengers which was released in August was released in 3D, and stated "RealD 3D" at the end of it.

Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2012 02:24 PM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry i did try to put this topic in a different column but it would not allow me

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-27-2012 09:24 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity I checked the showtimes for The Avengers this weekend at RAVE and noticed they are running four shows a day of Avengers 3D, but nine shows in 2D. Is this happening in other multiplexes around the country? Is there a greater demand for 2D?

The Avengers is running neck and neck with MIB3 this weekend, so I can't imagine Rave not wanting to make more money from 3D if it would.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-27-2012 11:05 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least near me, the showing offerings are equal roughly. The 2 closest places running both had one with 6 shows 2D vs 4 shows in 3d, with the other offering the reverse.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-28-2012 06:07 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will most likely have something to do with 'Men In Black 3' taking up the 3D screens this week. Avengers is almost a rep title to the distributors now.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-28-2012 08:07 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have thought Avengers was played out too, but as of Sunday at Rave it has grossed just $58 less than MIB3 and out at the older multiplex it has doubled MIB3 for the weekend. Maybe just a bad call on managements part. Or maybe, if the audience is not spending the money on the 3D upcharge they are spending it at the concession stand.

That's showbiz.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-28-2012 08:26 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and it also has to do with expectations. Late in the run, I would expect fewer people would want to pay extra for 3D. It would be interesting to actually visit and see how many are in a same-timed 2D vs. 3D. Locally, it runs about 3 to 1; 2D being the largest. louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-28-2012 12:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran it for three weeks, and we ran Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon in 3-D and the other days in 2-D. The 2-D shows did quite well but 3-D kicked butt all three weeks. Of course a share of that has to be attributed to the 3-D shows being on the weekend, but people are pretty flexible and if the 2-D was really the more popular here, it would have drawn more numbers than it did.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2012 06:59 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A theater doing free 3d that I know of has done 61% of it's gross in 3d.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: