Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP65 with mono surround channel

Author Topic: CP65 with mono surround channel
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2011 06:03 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am installing 2 cp65's with no digital sound so split surrounds are not necessary. Can I just use the left or right surround output to feed all of the surrounds for a mono surround channel? This way I can avoid the need for an additional amp channel at this point.

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2011 06:21 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. The mono surround channel in analog Dolby stereo is 180 degrees out of phase between the front left and right. The processor removes the out of phase information from the front channels and moves it to the rear outputs.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-12-2011 06:38 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bzzzzzttttt..wrong answer Donovan. (You are correct in what you said in that the surround information is ENCODED on the optical track out of phase, but the OUTPUT of the processor is IN PHASE with the rest of the speakers.)

You can most certainly use either output if you so desire, as the surround information for SR or A type, even though it is mono, is fed equally to both outputs. (With the CAT 441 card installed and it's jumper J3 set to stereo.) If the processors do NOT have the CAT 441 installed, you would use ONLY the LS output to feed a MONO surround array.

With digital, yes you can have phase and level differences which would result in some very odd results.

The question I have is why would you use only one of those outputs if you are NOT sure you're NEVER gonna add any digital or external 5.1 sources?

The smart move is to wire the surround array in stereo split up left and right and feed it with a stereo amp. Set the CAT 441 J3 jumper to stereo (don't worry, SR and A tracks will still output correctly) and that way you'll be future-ready.

Tom, the CP-65 Installation manual is available here on F-T, download and read it carefully before you install those CP-65's.

MANUAL LINKY

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2011 12:13 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never meant to imply that the surround output is out of phase with the front channels. That obviously would make for a bad sounding system. What I said was that the surround information is removed from the front channels and moved (in corrected phase) to the rear.

Who is Donovan?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-13-2011 01:31 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding phase of surround speakers; it's pretty random as speaker brands are often different from front channels and no one can really hear the difference in phase relative to the front channels.

Not to say you should not strive to wire everything correctly.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-13-2011 07:51 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
..... What I said was that the surround information is removed from the front channels and moved (in corrected phase) to the rear.

Who is Donovan?

Donovan was my misinterpretation of your last name, by the time I caught it the edit time limit expired. [Big Grin]

And that was not what you said (might have been what you meant) but it most definitely not what you said:

quote:
No. The mono surround channel in analog Dolby stereo is 180 degrees out of phase between the front left and right. The processor removes the out of phase information from the front channels and moves it to the rear outputs.
What you wrote in bold was misleading and gave the impression that what Tom was asking could not be done. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: