Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » can you change 220v 3Phase strong highlight 11 to single Phase? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: can you change 220v 3Phase strong highlight 11 to single Phase?
Peter Das
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 11:46 AM      Profile for Peter Das   Email Peter Das   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a strong highlight 11 console fairly new with 220v 3Phase 60Hz, and I want to change to 220v (1)single phase 50-60hZ, Can you do this changing from inside tappings?or any other solutions to do this.
Thank you in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Markus Ito
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 01:25 PM      Profile for Markus Ito   Email Markus Ito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you want to run this console off of a 220 single phase line. I don't think it will be possible to reconfigure the existing power supply to use single phase. I have seen power supply transformers that allow you to move jumpers based on the voltage of your three phase (for example, 208), but converting to a single phase probably won't be possible with the current setup. You could try getting a phase converter which will convert the single phase into three phase, but these can be costly

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-07-2011 02:32 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it one of the switching rectifiers?

If so, I believe they will run on single or 3 phase.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-07-2011 02:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a switching rectifier, single phase connections for the incoming power would be on L-1 and L-3 in the terminal strip on the rectifier.

You use all three (L1,L2,L3) for three phase connections.

..and this is for the hard wired versions for the rectifier. If you have an "MS" connection for the rectifier, you'd have to go into schematics on how to connect for single phase.

Look in this warehouse page for the type of rectifier you have for that Highlight II to aid you along for the conversion.

Peter Das
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 04:01 PM      Profile for Peter Das   Email Peter Das   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the TYPE No :72006-02 SERIAL No :116409 MFR DATE 100604

Still I didnt buy this, if I can convert I am going to buy it. The present owner doesnt have any clue of this projector.
I appreciate all your guys help. THANK YOU

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 04:52 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about running a whole console, but I know of
a couple of auditoriums here in San Francisco that are
running their 3phase xenon rectifiers (Christie)off of
a single phase supply by using a bank of large capacitors
to generate a third "phantom" phase. This trick can be
done, to some extent, with 3phase motors too, but becuase
it lowers the efficiency and the torque, I've only seen it
done with things like conveyor belt, blower or pump motors.

The rectifiers seem to work OK and have been using this
"trick" for over 10 years now. The only thing is that it
causes them to emit a loud buzz at about 120hz that I
find EXTREMELY annoying. So much so that I can't stand
to be in that booth for more than a few minutes when
the rectifiers are turned on or I get bad headaches.

If you poke around the 'net' a bit, you'll find that
there are several websites which give more details on
how to calculate the type & size capacitors you'd need
if you were going to attempt this. But again- I'm not
sure it would be practical or even possible to run a
whole console (rectifer, projector motor, automation,
etc) from a 'bastard' 3ph source like this.

Best thing would be a 'real' 3phase convertor, but
these can be quite expensive when you get into the
larger sizes.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 06:15 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless the Highlight II had a switcher put in after the original install, it probably has a 3 phase power supply. If that's the case, you can buy a switcher and wire it single phase like what was said here.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-07-2011 07:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More if I remember .. if the switcher has the "MS" plug on it, you prob can open up the case and remove the "MS" plus so you can convert it to hardwire .. in which you can still attach both hots to L-1 and L-3 and ground to chassis for single phase operation.

But, if it's a reactance (diode) rectifier, you're sorta confined to the 3 phase operation.

EDIT: did a search on the model number and nothing comes up from STRONG with that model number. of "72006-02". Would this brand of rectifier be from another company? Best do a more thorough research on this, report back to us before a final decision is made on your end.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 08:14 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is actually the console model number.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-07-2011 09:25 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, you are getting your input and output connections a bit confused. [Smile]

The MS series switcher has the same twistlock AC mains input connector as the hardwire version does. It is a standard 30 amp 3 phase 4-wire style (I don't have the NEMA number handy at the moment) and as you mentioned, for single phase you simply use L1 and L3.

As for the output, I would recommend that if one doesn't want the MS connector, that they order the hardwire output board rather than trying to tie into the MS connector's leads. Other than the gazilion cover screws one has to remove for the swap, it is pretty straightforward. EDIT: Monte already said this part, oops.

Peter, you need to get the rectifier info from the owner, or have them take and send a picture of the rectifier to you to post here. Only then can we give you a positive answer.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-08-2011 12:57 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
getting your input and output connections a bit confused.
"Oh shoot", you're right (I forgot about the four prong AC mains next to the MS connector..my bad) - "Dang!" been away from STRONG stuff for awhile being over to Christie and digital stuff this last couple of years....

..at least I was close. - thx Monte

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-08-2011 01:26 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
... four prong
In the words of that wise person .... Hubba Hubba [Big Grin]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-08-2011 02:43 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-08-2011 07:58 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Abracadabra!

Seriously, IF it is a switcher, it may actually be MORE efficient in single phase mode. I never trusted the Strong switchers (esp. since they are not normally field repairable) enough to have any personal knowledge.

Brute force three phase rectifiers don't work well on single phase. Louis

Peter Das
Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2011 05:08 AM      Profile for Peter Das   Email Peter Das   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a picture of the powersupply label.

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: