Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Best way to mount a R3 sound head on pedestal

Author Topic: Best way to mount a R3 sound head on pedestal
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2011 11:28 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

This may seem like a simple question but...

I have a big Century pedestal (the one with the round door on the side that says Century) It originally had a simplex style sound head on it so it has a L-shaped knuckle for the mount. This knuckle does not work for the 4 bolt pattern R3 Century head.

Question, do I need a different knuckle or can I simply take the old knuckle off and mount the R3 directly to the pedestal? will that hold the Century snug? I'm using 6000ft reels so there's some good weight on top.

Hard to find anything on the net or even pictures of how it bolts on.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2011 04:00 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Simplex & Century soundheads used the same base mount. Was the Simplex removed with the soundhead adaptor still bolted to it? The adaptor was removable as different soundheads could be used on that base. A picture of what is there would help.
Dick

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2011 05:52 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will take some pics tonight.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-01-2011 07:20 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that the base didnt have a RCA not simplex on it as it is a different bullnose patern compared to century simplex
Also there was a Western/Motiograph bullnose for them as well

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2011 05:52 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Gordon, it was a knuckle for a RCA head. A buddy found a Century one for me. Thanks

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: