Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » LED aisle lights are annoying (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: LED aisle lights are annoying
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-20-2011 02:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else hate white LED aisle lights? I saw a film last night in a venue which uses these, and I find them incredibly annoying. They are far too bright and they also flicker. Because they are LEDs, it is not possible to simply unscrew a few bulbs to make them dimmer.

Please tell me that these are not going to become commonplace in new venues. I am sufficiently irritated by these that I would go out of my way to avoid venues which use them if the same film is also playing somewhere else nearby.

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2011 02:59 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geeze Scott, I've been in any venues that use them and never found them annoying. In fact I've always thought they were the best aisle lighting system developed. But I've never sat on a aisle seat where I had to look over them.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-20-2011 03:54 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What color? Ours are amber. They aren't hard to tune out once you get situated in your seat.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-20-2011 03:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LEDs can be dimmed. That is if the lighting fixtures have the additional capability built into them. It's very stupid for a theater to not have dimming capability built into all the lighting fixtures in an auditorium.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2011 04:16 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! That should have been "many venues".

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-20-2011 04:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours are LED but they are mounted in the seats, old-fashioned-like, so they aim at the floor. You can't even see them when you're in the seats -- well I guess you could see them from an aisle seat but only if you looked down and not at the screen. They are on a dimmer.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-20-2011 07:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad that their wasn't a cover or something similar that directs the light directly down instead of glaring upwards...true, a 24v dimmer pak would done wonders on this arrangement.

And these lights are the pits for us who wear glasses due to the reflective glare...

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-20-2011 07:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are (bright) white. This particular venue uses tiered seating and the lights are mounted on the _front_ of the steps, thus shining light right at the screen. The flicker is also incredibly annoying.

Why do people design buildings like this? This was not a theatre (it was actually a multi-use room on a college campus), but films are shown there and they deserve to be shown properly.

Normal aisle lights (mounted on the sides of the seats and directed downwards are fine. These are just obnoxious.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2011 07:56 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me, it is not so bad when they are on the floor. There is a theater near me that opened up a couple of years ago that put them about a foot and a half up the wall. They shine in your eyes the whole movie. I saw a few movies there, and have not been back since. I would hope they finally decided to at least put covers over them so their light was masked downwards.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-21-2011 02:54 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
This was not a theatre (it was actually a multi-use room on a college campus), but films are shown there and they deserve to be shown properly.
Ah yes, the despised "multi-use" room so beloved by colleges and art center architects. Translated, "multi-use room" means: A Room That's Not Good For Anything.

In one of the venues I work, they use LEDs but they are placed in a plastic tube but that is embedded into the arm rest of the isle seats. The down light is just bright enough to light the isle but you can't see the LEDs directly from anywhere. Kudos for that, but this multipurpose room suffers from other really nasty issues...like ALL WHITE WALLS! I reiterate Scott's question: "Why do people design buildings like this?!"

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2011 07:40 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The head of a college school of architecture once said to his class, "We are CREATING a space". That implies that it is unnecessary to use prior experience or research of successful prior designs as the CREATE aspect is most important.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-21-2011 10:45 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some architects can be pretty annoying when they deliberately design a commercial building with certain features that make it difficult or impossible for the customer to use the building effectively. For instance, quite a few architects will design buildings without any regard at all for signage. Some have the school of thought commercial buildings don't need any signs at all. That sort of Utopian ideal doesn't work in the real world. Any business with a store front needs signs. Instead of trying to eliminate signs, these guys would be better off working with a reputable sign company during the building's design stage. Then they might be able to get something that works with the design rather than something that looks like an after-thought.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2011 12:09 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

You prove the point. God did not need to cooperate nor collaborate with anyone in designing the Universe. Why then should an architect need to consult with anyone regarding CREATING a unique space?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-21-2011 06:22 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby: imagine the restroom situation in such a building!!

I can tell you from personal experience that architects do not like at all anyone with experience (like me) who try to help. Better to fix it later after the pictures are taken and the "awards" are given.

The last major project I was on, the architect HID from the owner for 6 weeks, I was constantly bombarded by questions from other vendors. The cinema did open, but with big problems intact and the little ones I could solve corrected. There is an Indianapolis architect who is more than causal in my early retirement. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-21-2011 08:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth said"You prove the point. God did not need to cooperate nor collaborate with anyone in designing the Universe. Why then should an architect need to consult with anyone regarding CREATING a unique space?"

can i quote that to the boss sometime [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: