Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xetron lamphouse bulb

Author Topic: Xetron lamphouse bulb
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can a standard length bulb be used in a xetron lamphouse, or do you have to use a short? One of the lamphouses has the new reflector kit that does away with the front spider assembly. The problem is when they put a short lamp in, the front adapter was missing. They are using a temporary piece of metal to hold the front of the bulb on the new front mount. Obviously I just need another front adapter. They have a standard lamp in the booth and I was wondering if they could use it until I find the right adapter.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-16-2011 01:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that lamphouse is a XTC-35 (I think that's the model number) you can use a standard Osram XBO-2000w,CXL-20R, or similar bulb.

But, you mentioned a reflector replacement where a short was used.

Did a Technilight reflector get installed in that lamphouse, in which a XBO-2000wHS was used?

Just that short gap bulbs that short bulbs are known for, is more effective in light output for that reflector than the standard gap bulbs, but you can use a standard until you get that adapter piece replaced.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2011 04:11 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember the model number exactly. It's the blue lamphouse, not console. It can take a 3K lamp. Also not sure of the reflector kit. The reflector has an arm attached to the side that extends to the front where the lamp tip rests.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-16-2011 05:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xetron/Neumade made/make a whole slew of adapters/fittings to work with a range of lamps...including HS models as well as the full-size. So without knowing the lamp adapters, it would be impossible for anyone to say definitively which model lamps will work in your particular situation.

-Steve

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2011 07:42 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the manual, the rear bulb holder is the same for 1,2,&3K lamps. If that's the case the bulb will fit because the front end just rests on the bracket. Will the position of the elctrodes be a problem because they are now in a different spot, or is there enough play in the focus to compensate?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-16-2011 09:00 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the "small" reflector. (front end is close to the douser)?

If so, Monte is right: use the xbo-2000w/h. The -hs is not usual on this reflector. Louis

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2011 06:58 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it might be. It definitely is narrower than usual. The front "arm" is bolted onto the outside of the reflector and does come pretty close to the douser.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-17-2011 11:36 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like the Big Sky conversion of the Xetron. xbo-2000w/h will fit perfectly. The other bulbs may as well if you have an adapter that makes tehm the same size as the 2000h.

Be careful that you have the correct working distance on that reflector. It is not the ame as the old reflector. Louis

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2011 04:30 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was going to be my next question. Any idea what the working distance should be?

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2011 10:58 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Be careful that you have the correct working distance on that reflector
What would the consequences be if the working distance is wrong?
Possibly lower light output than what is possible?
or
Burning something up?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2011 01:23 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think burning anything would be an issue. Light level would be reduced.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-18-2011 02:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the working distance is wrong and one over adjusts the bulb focus to try to compinsate one can quickly scorch a reflector

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-18-2011 04:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...seen plenty of STRONG X-90 reflectors with the back section all scorched and even warped due to bulbs being focued too far back - even the chrome was peeling from the inside surface.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2011 12:50 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if the reflector were of the eliptical type then you would reason that the bulb midfocus position would be foci(1) and foci(2) would be positioned at the film trap, but I'm guessing that the reflectors are possibly not perfect elipses and you would therefor have to rely on specs from the engineer who designed the reflector for the working distance spec. Is this correct or is there some trick to reverse engineer it? I guess its kind of late to talk about it, but I have always wondered about it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: